1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 169.254.*.* Ip will not update to correct one. HELP!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by overdone, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. overdone

overdone Thread Starter

Hi all

First post here, found this place by searching my problem. The post I found did not help me tho. Bare with me here, I am typing on a old 233 mhz with less the 100megs of ram, running on xp. So you can imagine, its very slow. this is actually a old computer that was supposed to be recycled. Glad I didn't as its helping me now.

My main computer is having networking issues. It happen around 6 hours ago, while I was at the computer and I have been trying to fix it every since. I have been searching on this old computer trying to find resolve and it hasn't happen. Its been painstaking as each page takes forever to load, so I cannot say that I have searched as much as I would normally.

Right now my main computer is giving generic ip based on the fact that it cannot talk to the dhcp. At least that is what I gather from reading. Its a win xp sp2 machine, which has been updated with all security fixes, minus sp3. I mention this, because it was today after I install 4 or 5 security fixes, this problem appeared after reboot. Granted the computer hadn't been rebooted for days, so it could of happen with something else. But I have a strong feeling its to do with the xp updates.

Things I have done are power reboot, shutting down, unplugging all cables and power supplys to the modem and computer and then reconnected, waiting for modem to boot fully and then restarting the computer.

Also release and renew has been tried.

I have even reset the winsock using the netsh winsock reset command.

I have tried disabling the nic card and enabling it as well. it cannot aquire address.

I have also tested the eithernet cable with this old computer and it works fine, even swapped cable to try that as well.

Have ran spybot, hijackthis, spyware doctor, and currently avg. Nothing has come up out of the norm. Few tracking cookies and such,. but nothing to cause this.

I am pulling my hair out over this, not sure where else to look. Hope somebody can give me some ideas. Please post as much as you can, this computer doesn't allow me to be able to come and respond back and forth very quickly, I must you the time wisely if possible. Your help is greatly appreciated and I give you many thanks in advance

Thank you and Cheers!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes 3rd party firewalls (security suite) get misconfigured during an update or during a Windows update. So, look for that possibility.

Does the ethernet connection work in Safe Mode with Networking? If it does that's another verification that all the hardware is working.

3. overdone

overdone Thread Starter

thanks for your response. Never thought of trying safe mode, so I tried it right away. unfortunately the same result.

169.254.*.* same ip as before.

The error says

an error has occurred while renewing local area connection : unable to contact your dhcp server., Request gas timed out.

Should also mention that the netowrk settings are auto ip and dns. Tried typing in static values, but unsure what to put in there. Played with numbers similar to what are on this computer, but it wouldn't work

Again thanks for the idea of safe mode. Are there any more?

Thanks and Cheers!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

5. overdone

overdone Thread Starter

Hi Johnwill

Tried this again as your method was a little different then what I had tried previous with the winsock. Unfortunately, that didn't work either.

Thank you

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There's a possibility that the NIC has failed.

You could try the above repairs again, as a few people have had success on the second try.

Try a System Restore to before those updates you mentioned. Or even a few days earlier.

7. overdone

overdone Thread Starter

Hi Terry

Have tried all the processes listed several times over now. I would have done the system restore as well, but I was so stupid and not thinking prior to xp update installs. I unzipped a file on a partition and it filled it up to almost no space, xp warned me and I never took heed. Usually I always make sure system restore is working correctly before installing anything. yesterday I did not, thinking it was microsoft and never having a problem before, I never checked.

After all the problems yesterday, I went in to restore and noticed no dates available to do so. I then remembered the space issue on one of the partitions.

I have since cleaned up the space issue and restore is back indexing and backing up again. But I cannot go before the problems :( sigh.

Right now, I am doing a virus scan with Avg in safe mode and installing a burner in this old computer so I can transfer files over. I am starting to think it could be a virus problem. I noticed that when I was in normal xp mode some of the files wouldn't run for me, like ccleaner and spywaredoc wouldn't shut down. Something about permissions, cannot reproduce error as in safe mode right now and it works.

I also seen some errors in the application logs that make me wonder. Listed below are some of them.,

ERROR #1

Source Userenv Event ID 1516

Windows unloaded user ********* registry when it reeived a notification that no other applications or services were using this profile

ERROR #2

Windows saved user ********** registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory .................... has not been freed

Error under security

Ipsec services: Ipsec services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied ipsec filters. Please run ipsec monitor snap in.

---------- I have ran the snap in, but it gave me a binding error. I wonder if it is because I am safe mode.

I should also note I have disabled a lot of services based on blackvipers suggestions. I have went back yesterday and went over them with his archived sp2 services list. Most where like the safe mode, some were like the power user. I have re enabled everything like the safe mode. I don't know if this could be bad or good. But I should mention everything ran as I wanted prior to this problem.

on a side note, seems avg is a lot faster at scanning in safe mode. Looks likes its going to be half the time.

As for the nic, its a possibility I guess that it could have failed. Guess things have to go sometime. But just seems like the timing is weird. Maybe never a good time. I will probably try this soon as I am running out of ideas. But the virus seems to be looking strong to me right now, even tho I cannot see where it would be too, no files look to stand out from the normal in the processes or hijackthis log

I don't like modifing the registry as I don't know much about that and it has always scared me in all the years working on pc's. I really should play with it more in the future on pcs that don't matter to get more comfortable with it.

I wish I had a good reg copy to see what things run on a fresh install. I do see in the

HKEY_USERS I have a folder that has the same name but one ends in _Classes

In that section a few things seem to stand out to me, weather they are normal I do not know.

Like under that folder then CLSID folder there are a ton of folders and all have InprocServer32 in them.

Also under the main _classes folder there is IRC folder, which I do have on my computer but seeing it in there by itself seem leary to me.

Anyhow, that is just a few things that stand out to me right now. I hope the solution offered is not to reinstall windows xp. I do not have my CD and I regret losing it. Truthfully its my second xp cd I have bought over the years. I lost the original long time ago, the one that came with the pc purchase. So I went out and bought it again, saved money by buying the upgrade disk and pretended to upgrade from 98 by inserting the disk at prompt. But now I have lost that cd. Granted I have moved several times and across the country at that. No I am not making excuses for some hacked version. I actually installed this on my computer from hard drive,. so I could probably reburn the disk from that. But I did move the files around once, as I was running low on space, I have since added a hard drive and always keep the original cd files,. but moved them to several partitions, I am leary to how well they kept.

I really hope I can get this problem fixed without taking the reinstall route. Everything was running great and fast up until yesterday. Has to be someway to figure this out. I am willing to work with anybody and any suggestion.

Thank you.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Have you tried a new NIC in the computer as suggested above?

9. overdone

overdone Thread Starter

I am going to try that next, been scanning and scanning all morning. Nothing so far. But something is up, My computer won't let me run certain programs when I am in normal mode. It tells me that I may not have permission, even tho I am in the admin group.

I have removed avg and installed avast as it has a boot scan. Right now, that is what it is doing. Scanning pre boot. It has the lastest definitions installed.

I will most certainly try another nic card as soon as this scan is done and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

10. overdone

overdone Thread Starter

ok, guilty. I have not yet put in the nic card. But something much more troubling is happening now.

I cannot access many files. It tells me this

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item

Also when I click on processes in the task manager, if I try to close them it tell me access denied. Same in the control panel if I try to remove a program.

I have now scanned this computer completely. with the below.

AVG twice in normal mode and once in safe mode.
    Spybot once in normal mode and once in safe mode.
    Hijackthis. Ran and didn't use it for anything, everything seemed fine.

Avast. Ran in boot mode. Scanned everthing, even inside .rar, etc...

Something has either messed up my system or taken it over. I should note that the ethernet cable is currently unplugged. No working on the internet now, trying to figure out what is going on with the system.

Everything works fine in safe mode and its there I managed to install avast.

11. overdone

overdone Thread Starter

SON OF A B****H!!!

lol... I feel like jumpin to the roof... haha.

Well, I got it working. I went back into safe mode and uninstall everything that I didn't use or really need. On top of that I uninstalled Comodo Firewall and Avast... I don't think it was Avast as that wasn't orginally on the system. But it could have been comodo. Unsure, as I was so sick of going back and forth safe mode, that I uninstall a bunch of stuff. Most was there a long time tho.

So now, I have my permissons back and guest what? I also can connect to the Net... Ip as normal.. RIGHT ON!!!...

This ranks in the top 5 of the most frustrating things that has happen to me on the computer over the years... GRRRRrrrr... Glad its fixed and a big thanks to everybody that helped and gave suggestions. This site kept me going as I remained calm knowing the fact that I had experts guiding me. BIG thanks to all.

Thanks and again I can say CHEERS!

:)

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Firewalls are the most common cause of a whole range of networking issues here. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/722537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice