1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 1st ever post anywhere: can't attach a file folder to hotmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by NeedHelpSumTimes, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeedHelpSumTimes

NeedHelpSumTimes Thread Starter

Hi,

Hoping I'm posting in the right place; kind of new at this process (ok, totally new at forums of any kind).

I've read similar sounding posts and their threads without success relative to my prob.

I'm running Windows 7 and Explorer 9.0

Here's the issue:

I'm trying to attach a folder from My docs which is fillied with about 185MB of , aslord files and also other folders, also with Word docs. So, there are folders within the folder I'm trying to attach. Having read a few similar posts and the proposed solutions, I tried zipping the file folder (successfully) and then attaching it. No luck.

My first attempt at attaching the folder, 185MB, resulted in the same prob as attempting to attach the zipped folder (166MB, which seems odd, as I thought zipping it would make it much, much smaller): I click on hotmail 'attachment' when composing the email, up comes my docs, including the folder in question that I'd like to attach. I'm used to double clicking for attachmets. When I do that the folder simply opens to all the files within that folder, which is the same thing that happens when I click on 'Open'.

As one of the threads in a similar post suggested trying to right click and use the 'send to' option, I tried that and was able to get as far clicking the send button. It wouldn't send, saying 'not enough memory'.

Any help would be ever so greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    You browse you selct and choose attach?
    Memory (disk space allowed on Hotmail) could be the problem, have you tried one file?
    Try the help in Hotmail, that's what manuals are for

3. NeedHelpSumTimes

Not 'browse' but 'insert'.

I am, indeed, able to send a single file, from within the folder.

Hotmail 'Help' hasn't been of....help.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's a pretty big file to try to send by mail. Ae you sure it doesn't exceed size limits? Besides that, many mail systems simply will not accept zip files or exe's as attachments.

Can you use FTP to send it? Another way is to put it on a file-sharing site. I use www.ge.tt/#!/about which is free and gives you a link for downloading. Another is www.fileden.com

5. NeedHelpSumTimes

Had to look up FTP (file transfer protocol), as I have no idea what the process for that is. A free file sharing site? That sounds interesting, I'll take a peak at it. Thanks!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, both of those have free accounts. If you want to send big files to people, you can just upload to a site and send them a link. It also is a good backup for important documents. The FileDen actually gives you a direct download link, so my ad at Craigslist, for example, has images in it that are hosted on the FileDen site. Most give you direct download links only with the pay accounts, so it's pretty handy.

Ge.tt works very well, but there is a real sparseness to their page and it is not always clear how to navigate. It works well if you get used to it, but the FileDen may be easier for people not familiar with that type of site.

7. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Another site to send large files with is UsendIt or YoSendIt, just google, amd yes okay it's insert not attch but you cannot select forlders or you zip them but then again the siez is important

8. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Install Windows Live on your PC and you don't have that limit, except for the receiver's mailbox limit.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

"Inserting" is actually not the same thing as "attaching". When you insert an image, for example, it is placed in the body of the mail, but when you attach it, it is just sent along with the mail (though with images the terms may be interchangeable because they put even attached images in the body at times, the difference still holds for other file types). You don't want to "insert" a zip file, you want to "attach" it.

The same limits apply whether you use Windows Live Mail or go directly to the Hotmail site. The mail still goes to the same place.

10. NeedHelpSumTimes

Many, many thanks for the education and great help!

I'm going to give a skydrive of sorts a shot, as I love the idea of that extra backup...particularly if it's free and I can rely on whomever supports or manages the skydrive. I'll likely try fileden first and go from there.

Thank you all, again, and I'll let you know how it resolves.

11. NeedHelpSumTimes

Well, I owe a huge thank you to all of you who had thoughts relative to my question.

In fact, The skydrive comments convinced me to take a look at Hotmail's skydrive and as it turns out, that is exactly what I need. I have now been able to share my docs with a friend who needed them and, as a bonus, I have yet an additional back-up of those files. But the entire process was relatively painless and without all of your comments, I'm not sure what I would have done.

I suppose that I'm now beginning to understand what cloud computing means how it can benefit virtually anyone; even me!

Many sincere thanks again!

12. NeedHelpSumTimes

As this was my first post, I suppose I should also ask if I need to do something to close/resolve this post or if it's done by the good folks who operate techguy.org??

13. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

If it's resolved then you can just hit the Mark Solved button above :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice