1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 1st XP install on 1st new build. STOP 0x00

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skunky2812, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skunky2812

skunky2812 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. Well i'm pleased to say 1st new build went well.(Ahem just about). Power up worked and got into BIOS. 1st boot from optical drive , we get so far until. STOP 0x0000007B (0xF7.....................)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. skunky2812

3. The Hound

The Hound

You'll need to install the SATA/RAID drivers available here (at the bottom of the list...

When you boot to the Windows XP CD, almost right away you'll see a prompt at the bottom of the screen to Press F6 to install third-party RAID/SCSI driver...then follow the prompts.

4. skunky2812

ok. Thanks Hound. I guess i shoulda put a FD in lol. I am super newb.
    I'm going to leave this thread open til i get it fixed.

5. skunky2812

Hi again. Is it possible to install thes divers from cd or does it have to be floppy?

6. The Hound

The Hound

Yeah...that F6 floppy installation idea doesn't hold much water when nobody has a floppy drive.

Two options:

>Enter the BIOS at boot--you should see a prompt as soon as the machine powers up telling you which key to press to 'enter setup'.
    Disable SATA/AHCI---that's a generic instruction...I don't know yet exactly how that will read in your BIOS...I'll poke another member here to see just what that will say.

>'Slipstream' the SATA driver and the Windows XP installation together on one CD.
    The program to use is nLite available free for download here.
    Their guide is also very good to explain the process. It may seem like a great effort, but you'll be very happy at some point to have a custom install disk with those drivers integrated.

7. skunky2812

Nice one. I've been moving the FD from old pc back and for. Starting to cook my brain a bit. Just getting that nLite.

Got the drivers on floppy and f6'd it. Got error code 4 File: x64/ahcix64.sys could not be loaded.

Any ideas?

8. The Hound

The Hound

x64? Are you using a 64 bit XP installation?

Wait--I get it. x64 comes before x86 alphabetically.
    On your floppy, there are a number of files called x64...for 64 bit versions of Windows.
    I would delete these files before trying again:

ahcix64
    and a folder (I think they'll be in a folder) called x64 containing files named ahci64.cat, ahci64.sys, and ahci64.inf.

9. skunky2812

my processor says 64 bit compatible, so i was taking that as ...well you know what i mean.....so you recon delete those before trying again ok.

Currently trying nlite, but will swap back to floppy, just to see.
    No point burning ISO disc if driver doesn't work

Thanks again you really are keeping me going dude

10. The Hound

The Hound

You'll be all right...the x64 thing can be confusing.

Even if you're able to install from the floppy, you might consider making the slipstreamed installation disc just for this machine. You can integrate the SATA driver, chipset, video card and LAN drivers, and SP3 if it's not on your installation CD. Keep it next to the machine if you ever have to do a repair or reinstall.

11. skunky2812

Did what you said and got further along setup. I now have a setup could not copy file ahcix86.inf . Is this the driver file? can i skip this file?

12. skunky2812

been thinkin about it and going for the skip file. Reckon those files were installed from floppy? Really hope I'm right.. Please say I'm right.

13. skunky2812

Wasn't right!!! back to original STOP 0x0...................
    Never mind . Try again

14. The Hound

The Hound

That's the installer/information for the driver. I don't think you can get along without it.
    Can you change the SATA/AHCI in BIOS to IDE or OFF?
    If you can install the O/S with the drive emulating IDE, then you can install the SATA drivers from Windows and go back and reenable the SATA/AHCI.
    Sorry so slow to respond...I'm trying to get the exact setting in your BIOS to change...

15. The Hound

The Hound

Okay.
    In the BIOS...

On the Integrated Peripherals Screen.
    OnChip SATA should be ENABLED.
    OnChip SATA type should be NATIVE IDE.

That should allow you to install XP without the extra drivers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/906591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice