1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2.5 GB RAM... Suppose to be 3 GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anoman05, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

I recently built a computer for myself and one for my brother. They are almost identical computers both running XP. I started out with 2GB each. I recently decided to purchase another GB for each computer. So I bought (2) 2X 512MB so I could keep the Dual Configuration. I installed them both into my computer and my brothers. Then I checked the basic info on each computer. My brothers says it has 3GB as it should, however mine only says it has 2.5GB. Do I have a faulty RAM? or is there a setting that I have to change. I am very new to building computers, so any help would be appreciated. Oh and all the memory is Corsair.

2. AcidBurnz95

AcidBurnz95

Does either machine have on board video?

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Your brother's PC probably has a seperate video card with it's own memory while your PC has built-in video which is taking 512mb away from your system ram.

5. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

I am not sure what a board video is. Both machines have Asus P5N-D motherboard, Intel Duo Quad Core 6600, and Geforce 8800GT. Both machines are almost identical except for the DvD drive and the Harddrive, so it seems odd that the memory works on one and not the other.

6. AcidBurnz95

AcidBurnz95

3GB on XP should be fine
    4GB of physical RAM might be reported as less

7. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

Our video cards are made by different companies so that could be the problem. I will try taking out the new RAM and see if it says I have less than 2GB.

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If the MB and Video cards are the same, then one of the 512mb sticks of ram was probably not installed correctly or the ram slot is faulty.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice