1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2.5 sata hard drive in a PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dougx789, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a PC without a hard drive and a spare 2.5 sata (notebook) hard drive.

Can I use this hard drive in the pc?

I have been trying to find an answer online and 50% saying yes its fine and 50% saying I need a converter due to the 2.5 using 5V and PC's using 3.5 provide 12V.

The PC has a SATA cable and a power cable as far as I can tell the same as the hard drive.

Thanks

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    The one without a harddrive is a desktop? I could be wrong but i dont think you can put a laptop hard drive in a tower computer its to small i would think.Im sure someone will be by with more advice and will correct me if im wrong. Ive never tried to do that but personally i dont think it will work.I think laptops need laptop hard drives and towers need the much bigger harddrives.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Yes you can.

If there's a bay adapter attached to the drive, remove it.

4. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You are welcome. I guess i learned something but to me it would be strange to do it.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not strange. SSDs are 2.5" and usually come with brackets for mounting in desktop computers.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice