1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2 computer home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jsinbolton, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsinbolton

jsinbolton Thread Starter

Hi everyone
    I am looking at setting up a small network in my home so my husband and I can have internet access in oru respective home offices. The offices are both on the same floor. We have 2 desktop computers running on Windows XP Pro.
    I have absolutely no idea where to start with this, so I need all the help and information I can get.
    Much appreciated.

2. gurutech

gurutech

You just need a Cable/DSL Router - they can be bought online or at stores like CompUSA, Bestbuy, etc... As long as both PC's have a network card (the back of the PC will have a jack that looks like a phone jack, but will be a little wider).

If you want to go Wireless, you can get a wireless router, and a wireless PCI card for each of your desktop PC's. (The wireless router also has ports on it for desktop PC's if you don't want to get PCI cards for the PC's) You can then upgrade to wireless later, or if you add a wireless laptop to the mix, it will be really simple.

Both routers would be set up to use a WAN port to connect to your existing internet connection (cable modem or DSL modem), and then each PC would connect to the router (either to one of the 4 ports, or wirelessly).

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

One addition to Guru's good advice.If you you choose the wired/wireless router option,it is a very good idea to get them from the same manufacturer(linksys,etc).This will help insure that the two components are compatible,to minimize connection and installation issues.

4. jsinbolton

jsinbolton Thread Starter

Hi gurutech & pedroguy
    Thanks, your information is very helpful, just a couple more question, do I need a PCI card for each computer and just 1 router? and...do the PCI cards have to be installed or do they just plug in?
    Thanks again

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

In my environment,my desktop is connected to the wired/wireless linksys router,which is connected to the cable modem,which is connected to the Cox cable broadband cable.( no card there because I used the available ethernet port for this connection)
    My laptop has a linksys wireless adapter card plugged into it in the available slot.The card came with software that had to be installed on the laptop.
    I then set up wireless security,through the router.Pretty straighforward.
    You can then go about setting up sharing resources(files/printers).

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Note that the above advice is assuming that you already have internet service and a broadband modem with ethernet connection. Things get slightly more complicated if your modem has only a USB connection or if you have dial-up.

7. jackdw

jackdw

You will need a PCI card for each computer if you want to go wireless or they don't have a network port. And yes, one router for the both of them to share. They will have to be installed but you have to be pretty dumb to muck it up. They come with installation instructions anyway.

8. gurutech

gurutech

You could always hire the Geek Squad to muck it up for you.... ;)

9. rbrager

rbrager

I would go to www.microsoft.com, search for "home network", and read everything that you find. Next figure out how you will access your ISP for internet connectivity. Then figure out how you will connect your two computers (your LAN) (wired - the most secure, wireless - almost as secure, powerline - ?). Forget the Geek Squad, do it yourselves, the Geek Squad are expensive. Learn how now. Not after geek guys muck it up and don't solve your problem.

10. Spandexer

Spandexer

Hi Jsin,

Another option: I have DSL. Instead of just a modem, my DSL provider sent me a Gateway which is part modem/part wireless router. My PC is connected directly to the Gateway and the Gateway is connected directly to a phone port in the wall. I purchased a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter from CompUSA for my girlfriend's PC. Her PC is in another room on the same floor. The Belkin Adapter just plugged into a USB port on my girlfriend's PC. We followed the instructions and now she connects to the internet wirelessly through the signal sent out by the Gateway. We share the same internet connection. No Network cards to install, etc. Whichever method you decide to use I agree wholeheartedly with rgrager: It's important to learn to do it yourself. If anything ever goes wrong you'll be able to fix it yourself.

11. rbrager

rbrager

I, Robert Bruce Rager, Have a cable modem, which can be several times faster than DSL or even slower (sometimes I wonder why I pay the big bucks). What you use, depends on what is available.

12. jackdw

jackdw

Your point being?

13. rbrager

rbrager

The point is that in designing a home network you start with how you are intending to access the internet, it decides the type of modem you will need. The next decision is wired or wireless. Of course you can have it both ways these days. Most new routers have both wired ports and a wireless section.

Also I was offered a job as one of the local Geek squad for what they were going to pay (a retired Bell Labs MTS), I expect the hourly rate would be stiff.

I think it is important to "do it yourself" so that you can know enough to trouble shoot the plethora of problems that crop up.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice