1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2 Computers have the same external ip

Discussion in 'Networking' started by seanw23, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanw23

seanw23 Thread Starter

First off here is my set up:

Win7 (Windows 7 Ultimate) has wireless going in and is bridged to have wired coming out.
    The wired connection coming out of Win7 is going into a Linksys router with 8 port switch. The WIN7 cable is going to the 1st port and their is a cable going from port 2 to the back of another computer. Nothing is plugged into the Uplink/Internet port on the switch. The switch is set to 192.168.1.100 and my wireless router down stairs is 192.168.1.1 (the wireless router is only set to give out 10 IPs.

Everything is working fine. all computers have internet access.

The problem I am having is they both have the same external IP address. for example. Win7 is 192.168.1.5 and 94.85.8.25 and the other computer is 192.168.1.101 and 94.85.8.25 You see they have different private IP addresses, but they both have the same external ip addresses. This causes a big pain to be able to use one keyboard and one mouse on both computers.

Does anyone know how to change that so I can use Synergy? Or does anyone know of a program that will do the same a synergy but work in my condition? I have been working on this for weeks!. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Any questions please ask away

2. seanw23

seanw23 Thread Starter

I just figured it out and I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! I was able to even get rid of the switch and just have the network cable go right from computer to computer. on the WIN7 computer I just downloaded and installed Win2Vnc and then on the other computer I just had to install a VNC server. Then to connect I just had to use private IP addresses not the external ones. works great and now I can get rid of the other computers mouse and keyboard off my desk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice