1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2 Display Adapters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Corpser, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

I have an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 & a Nvidia GeForce GTX 760. In the dxdiag it does show Nvidia so I assume it is the primary and will be used for tough tasks like games and the like. My question is can the computer be having issues or strains switching between the two and would it be a good idea to disable the Intel adapter?

I'm asking mainly because of an email discussion I've been having with Deepsilver about DI: Riptide, to be honest Saints Row 4 has the same issues, because of issues with those games and one of their possible reasons was this - Deactivate your onboard 'Intel(R) HD' video card, since it's not powerful enough to run the game (maybe the switch-over between your GeForce card and the Intel chip doesn't work properly resulting crashes, when the game runs on the Intel GPU). Oddly enough I don't have this type of issue with any other game and figured it was the incompatibility between something but I couldn't figure out what.

I would have put this in the game section but this type of question seemed like more of a All other software since I didn't know if having both adapters on could be strain on the comp or not.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do the Intel HD graphics show in Device Manager or does it only show the NVidia one there as well?

3. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

No the device manager does show both and both are active.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Best way to disable is to go into the motherboard BIOS(UEFI) and disable it there and then uninstall the Intel drivers in Windows. You can look up the motherboard model to get the manual.

I assume you have the monitor connected to the NVidia card already? If not you will need to do so.

5. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

Unfortunately I wouldn't know since I bought my PC could always pry it open if I need to. I would assume that it is though since Nvidia is the recognized adapter in the dxdiag. I'll take a look inside it as soon as I can to make sure before I do.

Is the GTX 760 good enough to run everything on its own without any issues? And how would I access the BIOS?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't need to open up the computer, you can get the motherboard model with software such as this: http://www.hwinfo.com/

I doubt you are using the Intel graphics at all, few systems support pairing integrated graphics with dedicated graphics and it really does little for gaming performance. If you are using it then you would have Lucidlogix VirtuMVP software installed as well and you'll want to uninstall it as well.

The GTX 760 is a pretty good gaming card, it should be fine for most games at the high or highest settings with standard resolutions and one monitor.

7. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

Then thank you for your time on this and I'll post back if any issue arises but for the most part it's solved thanks.

8. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

So I'm looking at the HWiNFO64 and I'm kind of confused since it's showing the intel adpater as GPU #0 which I would assume that the comp is using it mainly. It also shows the current clocks for the Nvidia are well below the Intels current clocks.

EDIT: I did go into the BIOS and it didn't have anything for disabling any GPU, to be able to disable the intel adapter, so I don't really know what to do from here. I should state that my comp is an Alienware and on the uninstall list I have 4 different Intel items there.

Intel: Graphics Driver; Management Engine Components; Rapid Storage Technology; SDK for openCL.

I would assume the latter 3 belong to my i7 and the first would belong to the GPU intel adapter but I need input on that.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Post the motherboard model number that HW Info shows.

What port is the monitor connected too? Integrated graphics or nVidia graphics?

10. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

Alienware 0PGRP5 - motherboard model

How would I figure out which one it's connected to? No labels on either of them.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The integrated graphics are always near the top with all the rest of the ports. Dedicated graphics cards are separate cards and below the rest of the ports where there are slots.

Plugging the monitor into the integrated graphics makes them the default.

Since it appears you have an Alienware system, post the exact model of the system instead of the motherboard as that may yield better results. But there may not be a good manual for the BIOS settings for big box system. But there should be an option to change the primary graphics under one of the menu options or to disable the integrated GPU, look through each menu. You may not have to do this if you currently have the monitor plugged into the wrong GPU, most times the integrated GPU will turn itself off when you connect and use a dedicated card.

12. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

Alienware X51 - Unfortunately there wasn't just the ability to view what's in it and some options to change CPU and others but nothing about GPUs.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, so which video output are you using?

14. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

DVI - I do have two ports at the bottom for it and the one on the right, if you're looking at the back, has 2 additional entries for other plugs while the one on the left only has an entry for the DVI.

15. Corpser

Corpser Thread Starter

If there is a way to make the GTX the main adapter used I would be fine with that. Or if simply uninstalling the Intel adapter would be an alright solution I would be okay with that as well. I just don't like how the Intel adapter has precedence over the GTX adapter and only switches over if needed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice