1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2 dsl models 2 computers 1 dsl line

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bob627, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bob627

bob627 Thread Starter

I have two comuters, one running windows xp, the other windows 98.

I have a separate phone line in my house to run my fax machine.
    This line also is the dsl line. I have two modems from sbcyahoo. Can I insert a triple plug adapter in the telephone box, connect 1 line to my fax machine, 1 phone line to one computer's dsl modem and the other phone line to the dsl modem on the other computer and still be able to have dsl on both computers??? I want to see if this can work before I go to the expense of a router.
    Thank You

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

I doubt it would work . . unless you pay for two connections to the DSL service . . that is what the router does . . makes mulitple machines appear one to the modem

wrs

3. winbob

winbob

Did SBC provide you with the individual 'line filters' that your phones, fax, etc have to have between them and the line? You need those.

4. bob627

bob627 Thread Starter

Winbob:
    I do have two of the same modems from sbc. I have downloaded the software on both machines successfully. Each computer will connect to the internet if only one of the phone lines is connected. The minute the second phone line is put into the double "socket" at the phone wall box the successfully connected computer's modem "dsl" light begins to blink red and no connection is available.
    Could it have something to do with the double splitter?
    Thanks

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A single phone line can only support one DSL connection. The ONLY way you can use another DSL modem is by paying for another phone line and DSL account.

You can use a FAX machine on the DSL line with a filter, just like ALL the other non-DSL phone devices on the DSL line.

The broadband router is clearly the way to connect multiple computers to your single DSL account, it's how everyone else does it. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!