1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2 IP Addresses?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Justawind, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

Quick question...
    A friend of mine called me tonight with a question. The readers digest version is they have a cable modem in which one computer connects via a usb port and the other through the ethernet port on the same modem. ( ISP is Comcast) On an online game we all play, the staff stated they had 2 seperate IP addresses showing. I stated I figured due to the way they were connected to the modem. There is no router involved that I am aware of.

Was I right in my quess?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Each computer MUST have a unique IP address, so for sure they had two unique IP addresses. :) However, the question here is were the addresses in the 192.168.x.x range, or where they public IP addresses? Most ISP's only allocate a single public IP address to an account, but with a router you can connect all the computers you like to that single address. Behind the router, you have a whole range of private network IP addresses and the router manages the sharing of the single connection to the Internet.

3. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

No router involved, but you answered my question.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice