1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2 networks 1 network printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gamergomer, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gamergomer

gamergomer Thread Starter

Ok, so this office has 2 networks.

Network one is a 10. with static ips connecting to a wired router that connects to dsl. There is a wireless access point too. There large network printer/scanner/copier on this network.

Network two is a 192. with dhcp from the router and a cable internet connection. These 3 people want to reach the large network printer for printing and for scanning. I can do a scan to email to get around the scanning, but the printing seems like a pain to me.

The computers on network two are wired to their router, but they do have wireless built in.

So can I keep network two connected to the 192. network, but connect wirelessly to the 10. network only to print? Can they stay connected like that? (not have to turn off the wired 192. connection first) But I don't want to share the internet connections, and I don't want network 2 to be sharing/using 2 internet connections.

Since network 1 is static, can I turn off dns on the network 2 computers's wireless connections to network 1? (wow, that's a sentence and a half) Would that keep them from using network 1's internet but still keep them able to print to that printer?

An other connection to the printer (usb, etc) is not physically possible.

Thanks for any helpful info.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you should be able to use the wireless network as you suggest. Assign the wireless adapters static IPs and Mask; leave the Default Gateway and DNS blank.

Remember, in case it is an issue, that those additional computers will be on network 1 for file sharing purposes.

3. gamergomer

gamergomer Thread Starter

Thanks! Worked great. It's nice to have some confirmation before I try something. :)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice