1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2 OS HD's on same Asus mother board?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bumbledor, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Ok. I know I can have both of these drives on the same mother board, but here is the problem.

I was hoping that I could access the windows xp system, with the windows 7 system, so that we could transfer files..

My Asus motherboard sees both drives, but will NOT allow me to select them as boot drives..
    In other words, I have to select 1, and cannot select the other, even though I have 4 options.. A HD, a CD/DVD, a Removable or nothing.

In the hard drives section, I can see all 3 drives,. but when I go to the set boot section, it will only allow me to select one of the two os systems.

I currently have a 120 Gig maxitor with windows xp
    a 500 Gig WD with windows 7
    a 1TB Toshiba for storage.

I want to be able to access them all from windows 7, if that is possible..
    Will I be able to access the xp disk from windows 7?

And last, No matter which one I set it to boot, if I hit F8 during boot up I can select which operating system to use.. so thats not a problem..

Thanks..

2. huggie54

huggie54

hi ,when running from windows 7 your xp os should be seen as drive "D" have you set the xp drive to share? set one of my PCs up with XP on drive A,Installed 7 on drive B,at startup i am offered which OS to run,it does not matter which OS i am in i can see and access the other drive.

3. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

well, my asus Mother board sees all 3 SATA drives that I have installed.

1. Maxitor 120g with windows xp
    1 Western Digital 500 Gig with Windows 7
    1 Toshiba 1TB that is a storage drive

It lists the maxitor and the WD as SA and the Toshiba as an SD for the sata ports.
    (or something like that..).. the 2 are seen as one kind, the storage as another..

Now Setting up bios to boot, it will only let me choose one of the 2 OS drives.. so right now I have XP set up as the default.

Now I can still boot to Win 7, if i hit the F8 key as my system boots up..

Unfortintaly im on a wireless card to access the internet.. it has XP drivers, but not windows 7 drivers so Im on my way to the store to get a newer wireless card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!