Solved: 2 simple questions on ram and a video card interface

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XMkidX

I'm some what new at building computers

first off how come when I see inside a computer the ram is in a certain type of color slot? and then then the other color is left empty. does that mean I can only use half the slots in a mother board?

and while I'm at it, this iceQ + radeon HD 5750 has an interface of PCI Express 2.1 X16 will it be compatible with a motherboard that has PCI Express 2.0 X16? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161316

Thanks in advance

If the slots are all the same size (lengthwise) ---- then it is usually denoting dual channel ability.

If they aren't, could be the board can use DDR or DDR2 ram, but, not both at the same time.

Triple6

Rob
PCI-Express is backward and forward compatible. A PCI-Express 2.1 card will work in a 2.0 and 1.0/1.1 slots.

dustyjay

Jay
WHen you have two colors of ram slots that are otherwise the same, usually you populate the slots of the same color to enable Dual Channel then if you install more ram you would populate the other color slots.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online