1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2 simple questions on ram and a video card interface

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XMkidX, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XMkidX

XMkidX Thread Starter

I'm some what new at building computers

first off how come when I see inside a computer the ram is in a certain type of color slot? and then then the other color is left empty. does that mean I can only use half the slots in a mother board?

and while I'm at it, this iceQ + radeon HD 5750 has an interface of PCI Express 2.1 X16 will it be compatible with a motherboard that has PCI Express 2.0 X16? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161316

Thanks in advance

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

If the slots are all the same size (lengthwise) ---- then it is usually denoting dual channel ability.

If they aren't, could be the board can use DDR or DDR2 ram, but, not both at the same time.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    PCI-Express is backward and forward compatible. A PCI-Express 2.1 card will work in a 2.0 and 1.0/1.1 slots.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    WHen you have two colors of ram slots that are otherwise the same, usually you populate the slots of the same color to enable Dual Channel then if you install more ram you would populate the other color slots.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!