1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2000 freezing up everytime!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sgl1, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

I just installed Windows 2000 last week. It's a dual-boot os with Windows 98SE. I do have 2000 on a separate partition operating under compressed NTFS. But for the last 3-4 days my computer has been locking up. Everytime when I leave it for awhile I come back and can't do anything. No cntl-alt-delete, no nothing. I have to do a hard boot. I ran defrag, norton utilities and still cannot figure out what it is. I know it must be some sort of conflict. I'm using a Logitech scroll mouse with updated drivers for 2000. I have a feeling it has something to do with the mouse. Please help. I need to run 2000 for my business.

2. Dan O

Dan O

If you feel it is the mouse I would change the driver to use a Windows standard PS/2 driver. I would also run DRWATSON it may capture the problem so you have more to work with.

3. $teve

$teve

how much ram have you installed? and in what order.....ie:size of ram-chips....pc100/133......and how many of your slots are you using?
    it dosent sound like your scrollmouse could lock you out like this.
    i had the same thing happen when i 1st set-up the dual-boot o/s,and it was my ram configuration.
    post back.

4. gsbham

gsbham

Try turning off the computers power saving mode or sleep mode. Sometimes computers go into sleep mode and they cannot be woken up. Good luck with it.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you running an AMD processor? If so there are some fixes in SP2. That corrects just that problem.

6. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

I am running a gig AMD and I did download sp2. I also shut off the hybernate function. I am running 288 ram. Not sure if it's pc133 or 100 but it's a 256 card and a 32 meg card.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things you might check;
    Remove the 32 Meg chip and see if the problem is still there.
    Check the event viewer to see if there is a problem.
    If you have a lot of programs / services running try disabling some of them to see if it corrects the problem.
    Have you loaded the drivers for your motherboard / chipset? Win2k does not have a lot of support for non Intel chipsets.
    I had the exact problem you describe and downloading the sp from ms did not work, I acquired sp2 on cd and that did it, no more going to sleep and not waking up.
    I use the same mouse [Logitech wheel mouse] I just use the driver that comes with win2k. All of the functions work so you might try using the standard win2k driver.

8. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Ok, I installed the drivers for the motherboard. I didn't uninstall the mouse because there are features that aren't offered with the standard windows driver. Now where could I get a copy of the SP2 drivers?

9. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk

hey there

Just recently I did a dual boot. Man, it took awhile. Regarding your Service Pack 2, just goto Start, Windows Update, and click on Products Update. I hope you have cable or dsl speed cuz it took awhile for me to download. Anyway, there you should see a list of what's recommendated and software picks of the month.

10. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Well I had enough and reinstalled windows 2000. I installed sp2, and it didn't do a damn thing. So now I'm gonna be careful and download one thing at a time and see what causes this freeze. Sheesh, I don't even have that problem with 98. Microsoft is a joke!

11. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk

ok...Since you have a dual boot and have no problems in Win98 then it's the software problem in WIN2K. I think it's important of how the order of installation goes. I used to have a lock-up problems w/ 2 of my systems here and they both had lock-up problems. Until I reformat and installed everything in a different way and that got rid of the lockups. I also redid my friend's PC last week and he hasnt had any lockups and BSOD since then.

Here is the order of how I installed them:

1. Install the NIC in slot 4 or 5 (not the driver)
    2. Install WIN2K
    3. Install all your motherboard drivers
    4. then install your NIC driver if it hasnt been provided by WIN2K
    5. Install Service Pack 2
    6. Update the OS and install IE6 using Windows Update
    7. Install Direct 8.1x
    8. Install Sound card and its driver Slot 3(i'm using onboard here)
    9. Install the Video driver last.

It was very tempting for me to install the video right after the mobo drivers cuz I wanted a better resolution to proceed. That gave me lockups and BSOD. I've learned that you gotta stick w/ the low resolution for awhile to get no problems. Well, anyway, it worked for me.

by the way, what are your specs? it makes a difference using geforce and ati cards. I heard that if you use ATI, install the Sound card AFTER the mobo drivers.

Anyway, good luck.

12. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

13. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk

NIC = Network Interface Card (Ethernet card)
    BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death ..you know the BLue Screen errors
    Mobo = short for motherboad

I believe if you download IE6, Direct 8.1x and the others after a fresh install, you wont have any problems. Before I redid my 2 systems I upgraded to Direct 8.1x and starting having all sorts of problems. Errors here and there. It may be the same for IE6 which I havnt done.

As for your Norton 2002 Anti-Virus, I would install that last because it may interfere w/ the installations. :)

Oh, I take that you use a modem?

14. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Well, it froze on me again! And all I had installed was Norton 2002, Google toolbar, Logitech mouseware, liveupdate(Norton), and these security updates, or hotfixes, as they are named in the add/remove list. I had also downloaded DirectX 8.1 but hadn't restarted yet. But the newest thing I had downloaded were the security updates before this happened. Before there were no freezes. I am not getting BSOD but rather the mouse stops moving and thats it. I cannot do anything but hard boot to restart. It even happened on the password screen before I had reinstalled if that gives you any idea as to what's causing this. I'm uninstalling the security updates to see if that helps. At this rate, all the security in the world doesn't matter if I can't keep the damn thing running!!!!

15. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Well, I don't think it's the mouse. I think it's the security updates. At least I hope. Hasn't locked yet after I uninstalled 3 of them. We'll see.........

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!