1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2004 Compaq Presario now won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by merelyvix, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. merelyvix

merelyvix Banned Thread Starter

Hi - thanks for your attention and help.

Saw this was posted before here but unresolved. That was years back.

I lost power last night, and now today, Compaq Presario SR1215CL is unresponsive. Was not moved, is plugged into a top notch surge protector, that also the printer, monitor, etc utilize and they are all operational.

There is a rapid clicking noise and a tiny green light in the back rapidly flashing.
    When I unplug it, the clicking and flashing slows and finally stops.

Must stress this computer has been fine. No movement, impact, trauma, etc. Just power off and refuses to come back on.

Any advice? Have been Googling help threads before coming here. Thank you.

2. merelyvix

3. merelyvix

So, do I need to just take it to the shop? Was hoping to find another solution. I think this happened once before and this computer has never been to a shop. So it must have resolved some other way.
    Thank you.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's probably the power supply.

I'd also suggest replacing the surge protector with a UPS. It obviously couldn't handle the strike and is probably blown as well.

5. merelyvix

Thank you. Have been checking around for one, power supply, for this model and are hard to come by.
    Will keep looking.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's probably proprietary. Unless you can pick one up for less than $50, I wouldn't bother. It's entirely possible the strike took out the board, memory, graphics, etc. You don't want to pour money into a 7 year-old computer. Replace it, buy a UPS, and try to recover your data.

7. merelyvix

thanks - i'll check eBay or something. would like to keep the data, 7 years worth, but won't cry about it either.
    have an HP g6 series on it's way. this one is good for the kids though. was.

ty again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!