Solved: 250GB Hard Drive Only Showing as 127GB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

strtrcr88

Ive been reading around and noticed that problems like this are fairly common. Im having troubles finding something that applies to me. I have a Dell Dimensin 8100 P4 1.4 GHZ, its sorta old i guess, it was a relatively new P4 computer i think. I just bought a Hitachi GSX 250GB ATA-100 IDE 8MB Buffer hard drive and havent been able to get it to be recognized at more than 127GB. I tried updating my BIOS (went from Revision A02 to AO9) but that didnt make any difference on the drive. DO i have to wipe the drive and start over with the blank drive or what? I also read that XP Home needs SP1 to recognized more than 127GB so i downloaded SP2 and it didnt make a difference. If anyone can clear up why this isnt working thatd be great.Thanks Alot

Brian

strtrcr88

which jumper should i be moving or do i just redo the whole windows thing and start fresh?

most likly both. does it show up as 250 gig in bios and start up (before windows startup).

if it doesnt show up in bios as 250 gig it is a jumper issue. but if it does it is a windows issue and you may just be able to partition it and use it with a hard drive managing program. oh and you will never get to use all 25o gig. the partition tables take up some space so you would have like 230-240 to use

Right click on my computer>manage>click the + sign on storage>click on disk management. What have you got showing?? You should have your C drive show up as disk 0, then another disk showing up as 1 partitions and some unpartitioned space. Delete that partition, then re-partition and format>quick format.

hmm... i plays games the whole big thing and have a 40gb and a 20 as a slave who needs 250gb :(

Id use one if they gave it to me :)

NOTE: how come the computer techs always have the worst stuff :) and people who know little about the comps have the newest stuff..
Answer: We wait for the good stuff to get cheap :(

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management.

If the entire 250gig shows up there (actually around 233gig in real gigabytes), and part of it is unallocated, your BIOS update and/or SP2 has solved the recognition issue, and now you have unallocated space that was not available before. The easiest way to use it is just create a logical partition and a new logical drive. If you really want all of the capacity to be in a single partition, you need an application like Acronis Partition Expert or Symantec Partition Magic to resize the partition on the fly.

strtrcr88

thanks a lot to everyone who helped. I reformatted and my bios recognized 250GB. Windows finally gets the full drive although part of it is unallocated. I do want to have it as one big drive so i guess i'll do that partition magic thing. So thanks again.
Oh and for Jsortland, i absolutely do NOT need 250GB especially not a 250gb and a 40gb slave, but i want it.

Thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I actually recommend you partition your drive, rather than make it all a single amorphous blob. It makes it a lot easier to do backups and the like. I normally reserve about 16-20gig for my boot partition with Windows and all the application installations. I create a data partition sized for the amount of data I will normally have around, (with plenty of extra space of course), and then the remainder of the drive is a WORK partition. Most systems have a second separate physical disk as a backup for images and data backup. Here's a typical example.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online