1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 256 Color change won't take

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by islandamelie, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. islandamelie

islandamelie Thread Starter

The colors on my desktop icons and in AOL are grainy instead of solid. I get a message telling me I need to be running 256 colors but, when I change the display setting to 256 colors, press apply and then restart, it goes back to 16 colors. I've had the same version of AOL for quite some time and the color were fine until a few months ago. When the colors became grainy the drop down menus for the AOL toolbar turnedblack with visible text. They still work but I have to use a hit and miss technique to find what I want. Thanx, Amelie

2. elaich

elaich

Something has happened to your video card driver.

Open Settings>Control Panel>System>Device Manager. Tick the checkbox next to Display Adapters, which will show your video card driver. Double click on that, and a box will open up. It will say "this device is working properly" or something about not being installed or the driver needs updating.

Click on the Driver tab, and then Update Driver. Windows should know where the driver is and be able to reinstall it. If not, you'll have to point Windows to it. In ME it's probably in C:\Windows\Inf. Not sure about 95 or 98. Post back and let us know what happened. There's more you can do if this doesn't work, like download drivers from the manufacturer's site.

3. islandamelie

islandamelie Thread Starter

Thanx so much for your help. Your instructions were easy to follow and took care of the problem. This is the best website I've ever encountered.
    Amelie :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice