1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2nd Hard Drive not showing up in My Computer - No RAID Controller Drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Koot, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Koot

Koot Thread Starter

I have an ABIT AT7-MAX2 (VIA KT400-8235) computer with AMD Athlon XP 2.08Ghz running IE7 SP3. I just did a clean install a couple days ago. I only now noticed that my 2nd Hard Drive does not appear when I look at My Computer. However, if I use Search it will search in both my C: drive and also my E: drive (E: drive is the 2nd HD). I use the E: Drive for my pictures. So, I'm confused why the 2nd drive isn't seen on my OS.

When I look at the Device Manager there are two YELLOW question marks (?) under "Other Devices". These two line items are both RAID Controllers. Looking at the Details, these two (2) RAID Controllers (under Other Devices) are missing their drivers. I'm hoping this is easy to fix...

Is this why I can't see the E: Drive on my PC? Does anyone have any idea what drivers I need for them? I assume the drivers be on the ABIT CD, right? Should I try the ABIT CD and hope it's easy to download the drivers I need?

Here is what one of the RAID Controllers' ID says: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_1400147B&REV_50\3&61AAA01&0&8D
    The other RAID Controller ID number is similar.

Thanks for any help.

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

hey, no ones replyed, aww

DISABLE THE RAID IN YOUR BIOS

Redundant Aray of Inderpendent Disks

Read this
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/raid/

If this is not what you are trying to do on your pc then,

!!!DISABLE THE RAID IN YOUR BIOS!!!

to do this there should be a seting for SATA controler Go from RAID to IDE

3. Koot

Koot Thread Starter

This computer is not new. It was setup as RAID 0 before I did a clean install of XP. I did not change any of the BIOS settings when doing the clean install. The BIOS settings are correct - the same as they were. Prior to the clean install I could see my 2nd HD when I went to MY Computer. Now I cannot. I do not need to DISABLE the RAID in my BIOS. I think my problem is simply because I am missing the drivers for the two RAID Controllers. However, I might also need to do something within XP to add the 2nd Drive so I can see it. Dunno.

(When I look at the Device Manager there are two YELLOW question marks (?) under "Other Devices". These two line items are both RAID Controllers. Looking at the Details, these two (2) RAID Controllers (under Other Devices) are missing their drivers. I'm hoping this is easy to fix...)

I want to know two things:

1- Is the lack of RAID Controller drivers causing me not to be able to see, and use, my 2nd HD (E Drive) when using my PC? Or is there something I must do (on XP) to add the E Drive so I can see and use it?

2- Obviously I need to add the missing drivers for the two RAID Controllers. (I assume they were lost somehow when I did the clean install.) After adding the drivers (for the RAID Controllers) will that automatically show the 2nd Drive on my PC (like it used to be)?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, there is some real lack of understanding in regard to raid. You post your system was setup with raid0. Raid0 requires at least 2 drives that are part of a raid array. Is this how your system is setup?

If this is the case, then you most likely have three physical drives in your system; the two raid drives and a third drive not part of the array. Another possibility is that you have two drives in raid0 and that array was partitioned into two logical type drives; ie primary C and a second partition.

Replay with exactly how your system is setup; ie what drives connected to what controllers, etc.

Next if you in fact do have raid, you would need the raid drivers when you did the install. Those would have been installed via the F6 prompt during the first part of setup.

5. Koot

Koot Thread Starter

Well, maybe I don't have RAID0. I did not build the PC. I do have two identical HDs, so just assumed it was setup as RAID0. Maybe a clue for you to help me (and determine how it was setup) is that before I did the clean install I could see the two drives (C & E) on my PC. Also maybe helpful to you is - when I used the Search feature in XP both the C and E drives were on the same drop-down line. (I believe I may have had a drop-down line that said just "E", but when I Searched it automatically looked in both drives... Does that help?

When doing the clean install I remember seeing the partition and I recall there was a small amount of space partitioned, but I didn't think I needed to do anything. I also remember seeing the F6 prompt, but moved on past that. Was the F6 prompt where I need to add drivers for the RAID Controllers?

I guess I'm looking for the best means to get my E drive usable again - either like it was before the clean install or in some other fashion...without having to do a clean install again. I've re-installed all my stuff back and really don't want to go through all that again.

What do you suggest I do?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, the first thing I would do would be to determine how many physical drives are in the system. You can do this by either using disk management [start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter] OR you can open the case and look and see how many drives are connected.

You have not replied as to how the drives are connected AND to what controllers. You need to know if you have a raid array or not. It is important to be able to access the drive in question.

Next do you have a backup of the data on the drive in question? Remember data you do not have at least two copies of on separate media is data you do not care about.

7. realtech

realtech

Right click on My Computer and choose manage. From there, click on the disk management and see on the right payne at the bottom of the list what physical drives you have and then also at the top as far as the partitions listed.
    At the bottom, you should see Disk0 and so on. Also, see if they are basic, or if there are any dynamic drives.

8. realtech

realtech

Oops. Sorry for stepping on you crj.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you use disk management, then post a screenshot of disk management.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No problem. We just need to know how many drives and how they are connected to the mb/controller.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For Koot, raid0 will have both drives as one drive ie if you have two 120gig drives in raid0, the os [windows] will see a single drive of 240gig. This is why we need to know how many physical drives and how they are connected.

12. Koot

Koot Thread Starter

Computer Management says I have ONLY one Hard Drive (C) showing, instead of two like it used to be before the clean install. Layout is Partition. Type is Basic. Healthy. Capacity is: 57.26G Free Space is: 43.59B However, before the clean install I could see both HDs (C & E).

I know for a fact I have two identical physical HDs (Maxtor 6Y060L0). The more I think about it (I know nothing about RAID) - it is not setup as RAID0.

Yes, I do have backup. I use Mozy...and was successful in getting all my data back after the clean install.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK you are still not replying as to how these drives are connected AND to what controller
    Some mb have multiple raid and or sata controllers on the board and different drivers would need to be loaded.

Are you sure you have two drives? Have you opened the computer and checked?

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just checked and your board does in fact have two disk controllers; a via and a highpoint controller. Even more important to find out how these are connected and to what controllers.

Abit is out of business however you can download the correct drivers from via and highpoint. We just need to be sure how this is configured and how the drives are connected.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. When a board uses multiple controllers ie via and highpoint or whatever, they usually color code the ide connectors or sata connectors so you can tell which ones you are using.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice