1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2nd hard drive unable to format.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystaken1337, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mystaken1337

mystaken1337 Thread Starter

I'm trying to install and old hard drive that I had from an old pc into my new pc for some extra storage. The drive is show correctly when I boot up however, under computer management in windows vista, the drive is show as disk 0, unknown, and not initialized. when i right click the drive and attempt to initialize it i get the following error: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."
    I don't know what to do from here and would greatly apreciate any help. I don't know what info may be needed for you to help me out so if there is any please let me know and I will provide it. Thanks alot for any help, its appreciated greatly.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like the drive is dead. Can you hear ot spin? Is ut recognized as being the correct size? How long has it been stored and where?

3. mystaken1337

mystaken1337 Thread Starter

the drive was pulled from an old pc of my parents. its a wd 120gb that i used afterward as the main hd in a mod'ed xbox i had a friend put together for me. the xbox i don't use so i canibalized it. the hard drive was working in the xbox before it was removed. and i have checked all the connection on my pc to assure that everything is connected properly. now i know that xbox's use a different format on their drives than pc's do, what i need help with is getting the drive to initialize so that it can be formated and made pc usable again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/790249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice