1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] 2nd HD not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by max 8, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Hello. I just transferred my Maxtor 30gig 7200rpm HD from my old computer to my new system.
    I have it jumpered as slave to my primary WD 40gig 7200rpm HD.
    I did not reformat the the maxtor since there are some files/programs I would still like to use. It has win98SE o/s in it but since it's the slave i don't think it should make a difference.
    The maxtor is not recognized by my system.
    What can I do, short of reformatting it for my system, to get my system to recognize it?
    thanks in advance.

2. brianF

brianF

Is the primary drive jumpered to master, rather than single
    did you make sure the cable red stripe lined up to pin 1 on the drive
    Drive jumpered as slave

did you enable the bios to autodetect the primary slave

Big question, did you use a overlay software on the drive to get it to be full seen on the old computer

3. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response.
    Yes, the primary is jumpered as the master.
    Yes, the cable w/ the red stripe is positioned correctly.
    No, I didn't mess around w/ the bios yet and would not know how to ave it autodetect the the primary slave drive.
    No, never had to use overlay software w/ my old computer.
    I hope I gave you enough info to see if you can help me.
    thanks again.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

WD drives have two settings for master. One is master single drive and the other is for master multiple drives which is the one you need to use. Make sure that is set that way and make sure the bios is seeing the drive when you boot up. You should see both drives on the boot up screen. If not make sure the primary slave [or which ever ide channel] you installed the drive on is enabled in the bios. Depending on your motherboard, you may have to set the parameters for you drive manually. Most motherboards will auto detect the drive for you.

5. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Hi. How do you have the bios auto detect the primary slave drive.
    I went to my bios and didn't see anywhere to do it.

6. brianF

brianF

You need to look around for the ide configuration menu

It will list primary master/slave, secondary master/slave

Maybe be listed under standard cmos setup or ide configuration

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Another thought, depending on how 'old' the computer was that you took the Maxtor drive out of --- it could possibly have a software overlay program on it (EZ Bios) and if that is the case, you'll need to remove it before it'll be recognized.

*** EDIT *** oops, wakeup Candy, I see brianF already thought about that...... :)

8. WarC

WarC

One time something like this happened to me, too. The computer wasn't happy having an OS on the slave drive. You might try ghosting the slave to the master or something, unless thats already been done and said on this forum...I'd try and look, but im too lazy. I hate my A7V.

9. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

You guys are right!!! It does have ez bios in it.
    How do I remove it?
    By the way, I disconnected my WD and installed the maxtor alone as primary master and it was recognized. It just isn't recognized as a slave.

10. ~Candy~

I just hate it when I'm asleep :)

You'll need to boot with the EZ-Bios floppy, there will be advanced options........disable it on the drive first, then remove it.....no data will be lost.

11. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

i never had an ez bios floppy. i used the maxblast software that came w/ the maxtor HD that i used to format the HD.
    Can please give me a step by step guide as I have never done this before.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

12. ~Candy~

Same difference, that's the new version...boot with it....you should have some disable and un-installation options.

13. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

I disabled and then uninstalled the ez bios on my maxtor hd but still had to auto detect it as the prim slave hd.
    I got my system to recognize it.
    only problem now is that the maxtor has 7 items infected w/ the W95.hybris.lugin virus.
    I'll post in the security forum.
    Thanks to everyone that helped.

14. ~Candy~

The auto detect is no big deal......most of the time, that's the best setting....sorry to hear about the virus......I'll mark this one solved.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice