1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 2wire modem/router loses all connection when laptop connects wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by krustyzworld, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krustyzworld

krustyzworld Thread Starter

I Need some help. I got a new laptop and when i enable my wireless connection on my 2wire AT&T 2701 modem and turn my laptop on to connect to a wireless connection my modem/router losses all connection.Works fine when it is hardwired. Already tried 3 seperate modems all 2701 AT&T models.Called Att and messed with some configurations but nothing has worked.Possible line problem?Has anyone had similar issues?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't imagine a wireless connection causing a line problem, this is pretty odd.

What are the indications on the router when the wireless connection is made, does it change connection status?

Have you tried a different wireless connections to see if it's any wireless connection or just yours?

Does the same machine connect without issue using the wired connection?

Did you reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure?

3. krustyzworld

My connection is great when it is hardwired. Im showing a excellent wireless connection but within seconds of me connecting to the wireless connection i lose all connection on the modem/router except for power.Then I can disable wireless connection on laptop and it modem will regain connection.And i have went to my local best buy and my wireless worked fine there.I also purchased brand new 2wire modem and had same problem.So i took it back.Also purchased a Belkin N150 router and tried that out and it seemed to work fine for a day then the next day i would randomly lose connection even with the wireless connection off (i think that was a whole different problem) so i returned it.I changed the connection power to a 1 and it seemed to work for a little longer but eventually it lost connection.The tech support at AT&T guided me thru a bunch of setting changes but none fixed the problem.They said the modem was bad.But like i said earlier i tried three already(2 used 1 new).Now there saying it might be a line problem.But of coarse there not in on the weekend to do the test.If i remember correctlly i hooked up my sons psp go to my wireless connection and didnt have any problems a few months back.Yeah i know this is a weird problem.Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

4. JohnWill

I'd get a different wireless machine, say a borrowed laptop, and test with that. You need to narrow down whether it's the connection/model or the computer.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. If it is an integrated adapter get the driver from the PC manufacturer's web site.

6. krustyzworld

Ok I will have a friend come over tomorrow wjth his laptop. I connected earlier to my wifi with a cell phone and did not get disconnected. But did not leave the cell on for long(so i dont think its a fair test).Also went to Best Buy again cause it was my last day i could return it but i decided not to cause i like it and didnt really see a better deal.But i did connect to there wifi with no problems.I updated my wireless driver and that didnt work.I was also was thinking my McAfee firewall was interfering with my routers firewall so i turned it off brieflly and that did not work.

7. krustyzworld

Ok i tried the wifi off of xbox 360 and it also knocked out my network,but i think i got this figured out. Want i didnt mention earlier cause i didnt think about it is that my modem does n ot have the right power supply.I have a universal power supply connected to it.What i noticed earlier was that my power does quickly blinks red then starts blinking green when i lose my connection.So i am going to go bue the right power adapter and see if that does the trick.

8. JohnWill

Well, yes! You did leave out that IMPORTANT detail! Clearly, if the P/S is flaky, the router probably won't work right!

9. krustyzworld

ok it seems to be fixed now..thanks for the support john.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/953885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice