Solved: 2x2gb dual channel or 4gb?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kpnagidi

One of two memory modules crashed on me so I'm left with only 2 gb. Should I get 2x2GB dual channel or single 4GB while keeping the old 2GB I'm left with, reaching 6GB? Is 1333MHz the limit on this system?

Win 7 64bit

Motherboard ASRock M3A785GXH/128M
Bus Type DDR3 SDRAM
Real Clock 667 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 1333 MHz
Bandwidth 10667 MB/s

AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 255 3100 MHz

Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 mb

Thanks in advance.

The benefit of dual channel over single channel is more pronounced when a lot of swapping happens. If you dont do any heavily demanding work on your PC you should be ok with single channel. You can couple a 4gb stick with your 2gb one.

If you get 1600Mhz RAM I guess you may be able to set in the BIOS for it to run at that speed or by default it would run at 1333 Mhz cuz that is the speed it seems to support out of the box.

Not sure your existing RAM would run at 1600 Mhz. If it doesn't then any RAM added would be downclocked to the slowest RAM module.

Here is the thing you should know - there have been cases of incompatibility NOT that it will happen but it could. So you could try running the 4gb + 2gb and if you face any issues try running only the 4gb module (you could always add another 4gb later) however the same incompatibility issue should be kept in mind. So may be buy a mainstream one that can be easily acquired later on if more is needed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online