1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 3 Displays from one tower

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeyG, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Is it possible to feed 3 displays from one tower, with Standard Integrated Video Card, or would I need to add an additional Video card? Could I use the VGA port with a Splitter to feed two of the local monitors, and the HDMI port to feed the third Monitor? (The Tower would be a restored Dell Inspiron 3000 3847 Windows 7 64 Bit)

Thanks In Advance!!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could if it had three ports but the specs only show two, most new graphics can support 3 or more monitors. You could use a splitter but both of those monitors would display the exact same thing.

You can add a basic Radeon graphics cards with three outputs, at least one would need to be DisplayPort but you can convert that one to any other port.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Thanks, actually I need all three to display same screen, could I use splitter VGA for two, and HDMI for other one?

Thanks again

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In that case yes, a splitter should work. And for the HDMI you just go into the Display settings and enable clone. For best results you want to make sure all the monitors support the same resolution.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Thanks!! i'll keep ya posted, should be done next week sometime..

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

ok they changed the plan on me, they essentially want the 3 monitors to show 3 different web pages, can I use the VGA Splitter in any constructive way to do that, and the HDMI port as the other for 3 total?, or should I purchase an Additional Video Card, And If I purchase the additional video card, should I use both the integrated video card for two of the monitors, and the separate additional video card for the third? or should I use the new card for all three displays?

Sorry so many questions, please excuse my ignorance, I'm just really new at feeding multiple displays, Thanks Again in Advance!

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Additional card(s)

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, a splitter only splits a signal into more than one, it doesn't allow you to show different things.

Get a video card that can handle three monitors and use it for all monitors.

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Oh Ok Thanks, I tried to go on Dells Site to purchase a compatible Video Card but they do not have the desktop I have listed in their Video Card compatibility section (Dell Inspiron 3000 3847 W7 64bit) is there an universal one that I can get that's compatible with their MOBO, or does it have to be exactly specific?, Again I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this area, Thank You

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Oh That's Great! Two of the Monitors are DVI compatible, and the other is HDMI, I will get an mDP to HDMI adapter.. Last question, (I hope lol) I will install Video card in PCI slot, then after I do that, I will power up computer, will this have a driver CD for the new card?, or will I have to go to Windows Update for video card drivers?, And after I hopefully install the new cards drivers and get it up, and running, should I "Disable" the original Integrated card? Thanks again sir, you are a Life Saver!

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It will be a PCI-Express slot, but yes, install the card, connect all the monitors to it, boot the computer and run the installation disc.

On most new systems the integrated graphics will automatically disable when an add-on card is installed and the monitors are connected to it.

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Thanks So much All went well Appreciate it!!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!