1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 30GB space cannot be found

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by paul3000, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paul3000

paul3000 Thread Starter

hi,

i don't know where 30gb of my harddrive are. the properties display says that there are 60gb in use. if i check all the folders (including hidden and system files) it says that there are just 30 gb used.

man that's hard to explain that's why i appended a screen shot.

can anyone tell me why that is or how i can fix that? that computer is not even a week old. unfortunately i didnt pay any attention to the hard drive space when i first got it. its a lenovo thinkpad t61

paul

ps: i already scanned the computer for viruses, defragmented it, used the disk cleanup function and checked the backup functions (both lenovo's and microsoft's programs) also i used the 'where'd my space go' program

pss: the reason i put it in the vista category is that the computer of a friend (who uses vista) has the same problem (19 gb actually in use, but 50 are displayed)

Attached Files:

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    I would ignore the report in the Properties page. Have you tried the Computer Management or Disk Management console and see what that reports, that should verify whats on the second windows report.

3. paul3000

paul3000 Thread Starter

yes it does vertify what's on the second page. but i'd still like to know where the 30gb are used.

i didnt install any big programs so why do i just have 55% of my harddisk? i just got the computer...

by the way "where'd my space go" says that i just use 30gb + 80 gb free = 110 gb but my harddrive should have 140 (because of the lenovo backup partition which is about 5-10gb)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you unhidden hidden files and folders? Did you use any "tweakers" or otherwise change the size of the MFT?

Try unhiding hidden files/folders and use one of these to track space usage:

Disk Pie
    TreeSize
    Xinorbis
    AssessTree
    Directory Size Calculator

Look in Disk Management. Is there a recovery partition?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

5. paul3000

paul3000 Thread Starter

well yes, there is a recovery partition, but it's just 10 gb.
    i already tried "where'd my space go" with unhiding system and hidden files... but im gonna try disk pie.

and it doesn't seem to be the rescue & recovery thing from lenovo. (it didnt create any backups yet)

6. paul3000

paul3000 Thread Starter

i tried it and it says that there are 25704.9 mb in use. but the computer management console says there are 60gb in use...

and like i said i mean just C: not counting the recovery partition (which is just 10gb) c in itself has 140gb (its a 160gb hdd) - 26gb = 114gb there but somewhere there's an extra 30 gb and i already checked the recovery tools from lenovo and microsoft.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check BIOS setup the next time you boot and see if the correct drive size is recognized. If it is set to manual values, try setting it to Auto.

You might alo try running a complete disk check.

Go to Start > Run, and type:

chkdsk /r

Answer "Y" and reboot to let the disk check run.

Chkdsk GUI

8. paul3000

paul3000 Thread Starter

allright, i think i figured it out: "system volume information". none of the programs displayed its size all they said was "0 bytes". well i accessed that folder and it contains files >20gb. i dont want to do anything wrong and i already tried the disk cleanup thing. somehow it doesnt want to delete the backup points that are in this folder...

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't mess with that folder. If you want to make it smaller, you can set a maximum size for it. But since Vista already manages those backups and file shadow copies, reducing the amount of space used as the drive fills up, no changes really need to be made.

If you make any changes to that folder or its permissions, you may lose access to System Restore and any shadow copies of files that you may later want to restore.

But if you want, you can remove all your shadow copies and all except the last restore point by running Disk Cleanup and clicking the tab for the second page > bottom button.

10. paul3000

paul3000 Thread Starter

ok, i finally got it. i tried everything. then i restarted the computer and i had about 30 gb more. i still dont know what the problem was but i think i can mark it solved :D

thanks everyone!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/717088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice