1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 32-bit - 64-bot - can it be determined by looking at files on the Setup DVD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alex Ethridge, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a copy of a Windows 7 setup disk here. Is there a way to determine whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit by examining some of the files on the setup disk?

If so, how?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Having a copy and not knowing from which version it was copied makes me wonder if we should be trying to help on this, Alex. Making a copy for one's own backup is allowed, but ...

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Come on, Alex, give me something to relieve my suspicious mind. :)

In the meantime I checked--open the .inf file in the DVD root with Notepad. If you see a "64" it's 64-bit. If no "64" it's 32-bit. At least that's what I found on my Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade DVDs.

4. Alex Ethridge

I'm working on a machine with 8 Gigs of RAM. I would assume (don't know for sure) it is 64-bit Windows; but, I cannot get anything on the screen but solid black screen with a white mouse pointer. That's the problem I'm attempting to solve. Anyway, the owner gave me a 32-bit repair disk. That doesn't make sense for a machine with 8 Gigs of RAM. He also gave me a copy of a Windows Home Premium disk that has no product key; but, it isn't marked as to whether it is 32-bit or 64-.

Looks like we may be in a situation where I'm gonna have to tell him to buy a copy of Windows and drop it off here, that is if he doesn't have the original and I can't repair his Windows.

Where on the hard disk would I be able to view something that tells me whether it is 32- or 64-bit installed? Bear in mind I'm using Bart's PE to do the viewing.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Both installed versions include a C:\Program Files folder. The 64-bit also has a C:\Program Files (x86) folder.

6. Alex Ethridge

Thanks. This tells me he has a 32-bit OS with 8 Gigs of installed RAM. I'll give him a call and tell him he has a mismatched system that is wasting the benefit from all RAM over about 3.5 Gigs and see what he wants to do.

7. Alex Ethridge

One might think that as much of this work as I do that I would know more about these things than I do; but, except for this forum and what I read out of necessity to solve specific problems, I'm pretty much isolated here.

Thanks again.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    :D:D

Sounds like a good plan. :)

EDIT: this was in reply to your post # 6, not your last one.

9. Alex Ethridge

He dropped off a copy of Windows 7, 64-bit this evening. All is well with the world now.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice