1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 32 bit or 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bilnrobn, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    The subject of this thread seems to straddle several forums; hope it is OK here.

I recently purchased an HP computer and was lead to believe it was 64 bit. The installed Win8.1 is certainly 64 bit and the computer RAM is 4gig, which I think indicates 64 gig as, to my knowledge, 32 bit can only handle up to 3gig of RAM.

At the same time I bought MS Office 365 and on occasions it says there is insufficient memory which seems strange. On the latest occasion it also made suggestions, one of which was to get the 64 bit version. On looking at the card and folder that came with it, I see it should work on 32 bit or 64 bit systems but when any of the elements of Office is running the Task Manager says it is 32 bit. Are there two versions?

On looking at the task manager I see that almost every piece of software that mentions bits says 32 bit....besides Word and Excel, Firefox, Thunderbird, Avast Pro and Malwarebytes Pro all show 32 bit.

Is there anything in all this that is a problem? I only noticed it when Excel suggested using the 64 bit version and I started checking.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    a lot of software is 32bit
    Also with office , not sure if this has changed - but the recommendation was to use the 32bit version
    4GB of memory should be adequate for using office and surfing email etc - it would be video editing etc where you may need a lot more - but for everyday use 4GB should be fine

How much free disk space do you have - if that is low - then that maybe the error message - virtual memory

when you get the error - what are you actually running and using ?

3. strollin

strollin

64-bit Windows can run either 32 or 64 bit software. If you look at your C: drive from Windows Explorer, you'll see that there are 2 folders, one named "\Program Files" and another named "\Program Files (x86)". If you explore those 2 folders you will see that some of your programs are installed in one of those folders, while other programs are installed in the other. All of your 32-bit programs are installed in "\Program Files (x86)" while your 64 bit programs are installed in "\Program Files". You can get some idea of how many of your installed programs are 32-bit and how many are 64-bit by examining those 2 folders.

As etaf mentioned, MS actually recommends running the 32-bit version of Office in lieu of the 64-bit. See what MS says here: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...f-Office-2dee7807-8f95-4d0c-b5fe-6c6f49b8d261

It does seem odd that you would get insufficient memory messages from Office 365. Do you get them regardless of which module you are running (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc...)? Are you working with very large files? Could you post a screenshot of the actual message you are getting?

4. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Wayne & Bruce. A lot of helpful info there.

I think I've only had the message appear when running Excel. Don't recall it happening with other programs including Word, but I do use Excel more. The files aren't especially large. The one it has happened on that I recall, and on more than one occasion is a club membership listing with about 370 members and their detail. Running at the same time would usually be Firefox and Thunderbird in the tray, plus real time security stuff. Can't give you a screenshot at present as I can't force it to happen and it is spasmodic. I will add one to this thread if one appears while the thread is still live.

RAM: Physical 3.95gig total, Available 2.28gig
    Virtual: 4.76gig total, Available 2.25gig
    Usage showing at 43%.
    This with Excel, FF and TB all running, plus real time AV, Malwarebytes, Tuneup and Ccleaner.

Hard Drive: Partition 0: 1022mb total, 317mb used.
    Partition 1: 360mb total, none used.
    Partition 2: 199gig total, 48gig used.
    Partition 3: 248gig total, 443mb used.
    Partition 4: 15.5gig total, 13.6gig used.
    I've no idea what is in each of those partitions.

The info about the two Program Files folders seems consistent to what I have. There are 36 folders in PF X86 and 27 in PF.

5. centauricw

centauricw

You might want to try turning off those performance utilities you have running in the background. I'm not a big fan of keeping those running all the time (personal bias) and they are sometimes know to not work well with other software.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that HP?

What's the part/product number(P/N) on it?

--------------------------------------------------------

7. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Centauricw, do you mean Ccleaner and Tuneup?

Frank, it is an HP Pavillion 23 a300a All-in-One
    Product No. E9V66AA#ABG
    Serial No. 4CS43500SP

Bit more detail on Excel; It also loses the pinned documents I expect to come up when I start Excel. They will be there for a week or more and suddenly they don't appear any more and I need to bring them all up and pin them again. Also it sometimes tells me there is a fault in a doc I try to bring up. Clicking 'OK' or the red cross on the pop-up just causes it to reappear and the only out is to go to the task manager and close Excel there. If I then open Excel again it works perfectly and will load the doc it said was faulty. Maybe I should change to Open Office?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion 23-a300a All-In-One Desktop PC.

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows 8.1 64-bit and 4 GB of RAM.

It supports up to 16 GB of RAM, so you should consider adding at least another 4 GB so you can take advantage of the 64-bit operating system.

It uses 204-pin DDR3 PC3-12800(DDR3-1600), unbuffered, non-ECC SODIMM modules.

Attached Files:

9. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks everyone for your help on this. Frank, thanks for your last post. I've bookmarked that site and I've ordered another memory module (4gig).

Looking in the folder Program Files (x86), there are a lot of programs there and, therefore 32bit. Office is amongst them, also FF and TB. I guess that is OK; they all seem to work ok apart from the occasional "Memory full" error in Excel, (and I haven't had that since my last post anyway), but I guess the extra memory should stop that recurring.

I'll mark the thread "Solved"

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  11. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Frank, I've now received the memory module but can't get the back off the machine! The only instructions I could find are for a slightly different machine, though the illustration looks the same. They say to unscrew two screws at either side of the base of the back and hinge it up, but after removing those screws, (and finding a third one in the bottom center of the back with a "Void" sticker over it which sounds ominous), the back still won't hinge up. Can you help at all with this? The instruction to "remove the screws and hinge the back up" doesn't seem to be sufficient. Maybe there is a trick to it. I did try going to the HP forum, but they are under maintenance and not accessible.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  13. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Frank. The video is helpful in showing what layer, (for want of a better word), of the back to lift. I have tried that, but maybe I need to try harder. Fingers crossed!

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Good luck, and be careful not to break anything.

Personally, I would never buy an all-in-one desktop.
    Besides being more expensive, they're more prone to overheating and hardware issues.

---------------------------------------------------

15. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Now he tells me!:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!