1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 3Com router won't accept password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by erniejt, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erniejt

erniejt Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Anyone familliar with the 3Com OfficeConnect wireless 54Mbps 11g Cable/DSL Router? I'm using it with a 2Wire DSL modem, and windows 7.
    I get the set up screen okay, and set a new password. But when I go to the laptop or Iphone to go wireless, although the device recognizes the connection, the password never seems to work. Did I miss something simple here?
    Thanks
    Ernie

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

It may not have been saved . . have you tried setting it up again? When you say password, you mean the security phrase to access wireless?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What kind of encryption are you using? I'd try WPA or WPA2.

4. peter121

peter121

Try the default password from the router first, If not I would reset the 3com router and go through the setup again without the security enabled first.

5. erniejt

erniejt Thread Starter

Okay, we're getting close. As suggested, I reset the router and started from scratch. This time I used no encryption and I got a a connection. When I try WPA or WPA2, nada!
    I noticed that while my laptop was connected a dignosis screen popped up showing a ten number string as my verification code, when I though I had set it up as something much shorter and alphabetic.
    I'm confused again.

6. peter121

peter121

Verification code? hmmm. ..not sure ,u think its the security phrase? How bout try to use WEP.. The key is simpler to use.

7. erniejt

erniejt Thread Starter

Not sure what did it, but it works! WPA2 works fine now.
    Thanks again for your help!

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

WPA2 is the best option if it's available. Since the encryption has a hardware assist with WPA2, it's also normally the fastest connection outside of a totally open connection with no encryption.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice