1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 3months old laptop suddenly unable to connect to internet via Wifi and other

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JBeans, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JBeans

JBeans Thread Starter

This is what I am working with:
    1. Laptop LENOVO Refurbished (2012)
    O/S: Windows 7 home premium Version 6 (build 7601: Service pack 1) 64 bit
    Processor: Intel i5 - 2450M, 2.50GHz, Intel 64 Family 6 Model 42 stepping 7
    Hard Drive C: 380GB HDD Free: 421 GB
    D: 28.9 Free: 28.9
    Ram: 6058Mb
    Graphics card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1258 MB
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Emerald Lake
    Anti Virus: McAfee Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

Modem: Videotron Arris Model: TM502G
    Router: Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR4500

Level of knowledge: Intermediate? Learned how to use a computer in the time before Windows, comfortable with using command prompt. Have fixed many issue over the years with old and crappy computers, through research. Not very familiar with wireless connections.

This is NOT the issue I am trying to fix currently but might be good to know:
    Last week laptop started freezing on Windows load, going automatically to safe mode. If I restart the computer after loading in safe mode, Windows opens fine the second time. Have tried stopping all other programs from loading at start up. If I do a system restore, everything works fine for a few days, then starts freezing on Windows load again. When Window does load I get the application error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150002) click ok to close. but can still log in to Windows. Also, When I plug my cell phone, via USB to computer it charges fine and can upload and download between the phone and laptop, however, if I connect a (USB) thumb drive I cannot open the folder, save to it or open from it.

This is the issue I wish to fix first so I don't have to keep switching between my ancient and slow CPU and my Laptop trying to fix the above problem(s):
    Laptop recently stopped connecting to home WiFi (automatically or manually.) Ran troubleshooters, suggested I do a full power off the router and turn it back on. Did that still not connecting. Did a full power off of laptop and modem and router and restarted everything. Still doesn't work. Used manual Diagnostic tool and it fails the association test, suggests that I check the profile. I don't know much about wireless as I said, so I do not know what profile I need to check or where it is located.

The laptop does connect sporadically to the internet at home, via WiFi, for a few minutes at a time on its own, according to the wireless network connections. During this time I see one of two messages in wireless network connections: Unidentified network or limited access. If I go into the network sharing centre it says I am connected to an unidentified public network and shows that this network is not connecting to the internet. If I use the manual diagnostic tool at this time it passes the association test but fails the ping test.

Distance from the router does not seem to make a difference.

Often when it is disconnected I cannot even see my router in the list of available wireless network connections.

I can connect wireless to the router from my phone and have had no problems even while the laptop is unable to connect and the old CPU I am currently on, which is a wired connection, has had no trouble either.

Other things I tried:
    I've scanned for hardware changes in my network connections: none and tried updating my driver software: nothing to update all are enabled. Have tried disabling and re-enabling.

Troubleshoot Internet connections: Can't identify a problem

Did an ipconfig /all since I can't use a thumb drive had to take phone pic attached below.

A glaring issue is that there is no default gateway info, however I have no idea how to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any help / responses

JBeans

Attached Files:

2. ETech7

ETech7

Did you try disabling AV and updating drivers for your adapter?

3. JBeans

JBeans Thread Starter

I've scanned for hardware changes in my network connections: none and tried updating my driver software: nothing to update all are enabled. Have tried disabling and re-enabling. As well as disabling the AV, to no avail I'm really at a loss of what to do next.

4. ETech7

ETech7

To update drivers one would check the current version in device manager and compare it with the one available from manufacturer. Did you do that?

5. JBeans

JBeans Thread Starter

double checked the version in device manager and compared to intel's website it is the most recent.

6. JBeans

JBeans Thread Starter

So I fixed this issue finally. I figured I'd post how I fixed it even though it was so stupid. There is a wireless connectivity button on the side of my laptop and all I had to do was turn it off and back on and the problem was resolved. Wasn't even aware this button existed. doh! Thanks for your help ETech7.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice