1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 403 Forbidden : Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Browntop2004, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Browntop2004

Browntop2004 Thread Starter

:confused:

I am in the late stages of rebuilding an XP Home system for a friend.

As I have a wireless ADSL connection I thought it would be a good idea to download all the Microsoft Updates that this machine now needs.

However when I try to access ANY website using Internet Explorer V6 I am blocked and the following wording is displayed on the screen.

403 Forbidden
    You were denied access because:
    Access denied by access control list.

I have trawled the internet for information on this matter and found this : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316699

However, I cannot believe that this is caused by a connection to my ISP because when I attempt to access the internet using Firefox, I have no problems until I try to download updates from Microsoft which insists on Internet Explorer being used.

Therefore I can only think that this problem is to do with a setting somewhere in Internet Explorer.

I have experienced this problem in the past on other machines and after a struggle managed to get it to work but not known how I have done it. This time though, it`s got me stumped.

Anyone know a solution to this problem ?

2. unbidden

unbidden

3. Browntop2004

Thanks Unbidden but that winsock fix made no difference. (n)

It`s strange, I just tried accessing the internet (using IE6) on a dial up connection and it worked fine.

Looks as if it`s only a problem when I try to use IE6 on my wireless network.

I`ve tried everything I can think of, I just can`t think of a solution to this.

Anyone Know ? :confused:

4. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

has to be your wireless router. Underneath your router you should have a reset button get a pen nothing sharp and click on that button also if you have a cable/dsl modem repeat the samesteps.

5. Browntop2004

Are you sure ?

As I said it works fine with Firefox, the problem is only when accessing the Internet with Internet Explorer.

Plus the router works fine with my own Computer.

6. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

sorry my own stupidy :eek: did not read entire post. The only thing I can think of is you have proxy setup in IE.

open IE\tools\internet options\connections\lan settings\uncheck use a proxy

7. Browntop2004

You are Brilliant !!! Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou.

That worked like a dream !!

I have been struggling with that for hours today and in the past.

I am very grateful to you for your help and I am sure many others in the future will be for answering that question.

Thankyou again

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice