1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 560 GTX + 850w OCZ PSU - Powering down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blowbags, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blowbags

Blowbags Thread Starter

I'm at work at the moment or I would use the TSG sysinfo tool so advanced apols for that

I bought an Asus 560GTX ti for BF3 - before I install windows 7 onto my new SSD I just wanted to boot up and test the G-card on my vista install on my sata. I boot up Two Worlds 2 which is a game somewhat able to push your system, seems ok... 10 mins in, power off, straight power off (no BSOD / noises whatever - *off*)

Now, although I'm not here to tell you "its definately not this or that" I would be very suprized if it was the temp - none of my parts are OC'd at the moment, and when it powered down for the 3rd/4th time I unplugged it and felt the PSU/g-card/processor heat sink, all practically cooler than room temp.

The thing is though, when I got my rig 4-5 years back, two of the strongest components were the PSU (OCZ 850w) and the processor - and from what I am reading from 45 minutes on google is the only people suffering from this issue are people trying to use 450/500w PSUs with it - mines FAR more than the cap, I'd be suprized if my PC ate more than 600w at peak.

Anyway, my spec [again, nothing clocked] (at work so may be slightly off but shouldnt matter I hope)

Motherboard - sorry struggling to remember here - it's an ABIT and Intel based - google makes me think its an IP35-E
    Intel Q6600 - 2.4ghz (x4)
    4gig ram (Corsair Ballistic 1gigx4)
    1TB Sata + 60gig SSD (SSD is not being used for OS at the moment but is plugged in/using power)
    OCZ 850w PSU

Would you guys agree that these are the only sensible steps:
    1: Swapout the PSU to test that it is actually functioning properly
    2: if the same issue occurs with someone elses/another 550+PSU, then RMA the G-card? (it's from Amazon who are usually excellent with returns)

correct me if I am wrong but it's going to be pretty unlikely to be anything else right? obviously in a literal sense it could be a number of things but I'm thinking if it was my processor it would be a heat thing (and it would have happened pre-upgrade), if it was my ram I'd be getting pretty random errors and BSOD etc - it just reeks of not enough power, but 850w, and from what I understand, at the least a better than average PSU brand.

Thanks - hope didn't ramble too much but not looking forward to another 4 hours of crying at my pc tonight so want something to go at :)

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

It sounds as if you may possibly have a capacitor problem.

Take the side off the machine and use a bright light to look carefully at the capacitors. The capacitors are small can type objects that should be perfectly flat on the top. If any have "domed" tops (often described as "bulging" or "swollen"), are leaking a brownish looking fluid, or the capacitors are leaning (not perpendicular to the motherboard) they may be defective.

Attached is a link showing what you should be looking for.

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

Bad capacitors may not be near as bad as some of the ones pictured and still be bad. Also, you may notice a slight "metallic" or "amonia like" smell in the case. You may also notice a "whitish" looking "residue" on components near the capacitor(s).

3. Blowbags

Blowbags Thread Starter

Thanks Win2k - I assume that if they were weak (but functioning) they would not fail until "overloaded" though? since I have had no other issues and am able to work with the pc for a long time (but when I put stress on it, power off)

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

It costs nothing to examine the capacitors. Abit had known problems with capacitors which was actually the main cause of them going out of business the 1st time.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    You mention that you bought the rig 4-5 years ago. I take it it was all brand new then etc?

You have a fairly decent PSU in there, however if it is 4-5 years old I can pretty much guarantee it isn't ouputting the same power it was when it was new. They all degrade a bit over time and use, the less you load it the longer it should last, however always worth checking it out.

For a cursory first check download and install HWMonitor and see what temps / voltages it shows when the system is idle. Then put it under load with a game or benchmarking software (for example, Furmark, I find that a good GPU stress test) for a few minutes and see how the temps / voltages change.

If possible, screenshot HWMonitor at idle, then again after loading the system and post the two screenshots in a reply here.

6. Blowbags

Blowbags Thread Starter

Thanks Tanis - yes it was all brand new.

Am I right in saying this will report what my GPU is requesting/consuming, but not show what my PSU is actually supplying?

I will run this tonight cheers.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Assuming the sensors are in place on the motherboard, then it should show what the PSU is actually outputting on the +5v, +12v rails etc.

You can also check these values in the BIOS on many boards. This is often a little more accurate but it is harder to test under load (which puts more stress on the PSU), so I tend to go for HWMonitor first and refer to the BIOS if/when anything looks out of place.

8. Blowbags

Blowbags Thread Starter

Oh jesus, my cpu is IDLE!!! at 70+ degrees.... I must have messed something up fitting my g-card and cleaning my heat sink/putting it back

I'll get back to you guys when I can stop it being completely destroyed, i ran two worlds 2 again and its capping out (the sensor) at 100 degrees and giving minus figures when it goes above.

Think ive found the issue.....

Thanks for assistance - I assume I should mark it as solved since not many people run with 110 degree processors - i guess the sink is fine but somethings badly wrong underneath (since its cool to the touch)

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

It sounds like you don't have the cooler installed correctly, the processor is hitting ThermalTrip and tripping out. If the cooler is cool to the touch you are not getting heat transfer from the processor to the cooler.

10. Blowbags

Blowbags Thread Starter

Yea pretty sure it's that, I didn't replace the paste and I broke one of the crappy little plastic clips (on heat sink) which means it looks like it is leaning (and obviously not making proper contact). For such a delicate / accurate part, I think it's rather stupid that they are made from flexible yet weak plastic.

Ahh well - new heat sink and some paste time - wish I could glue it down but dont think it will make proper contact then.

Thanks again for the quick responses and help, I'll mark as solved now

11. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    At least you found the problem, or a very likely cause for it anyway.

Buy a new heatsink, don't try to bodge it :) they aren't that expensive. If you aren't overclocking then the stock ones are fine.

As Win2kpro has said, it sounds like you aren't getting heat transfer from the CPU to the cooler, probably due to the broken clip / poor / damaged thermal compound.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

You can purchase replacement push pins. The last time I looked they were $3-$4 for a package of 4.

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Blowbags:

Your comments in this new thread should be continued here in this thread since win2kpro and Tanis have already been assisting you.

I'm going to take the liberty of copying-and-pasting them here.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

Posted this thread last week
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1...ml#post8138410

I messed up by letting my processor run without my heatsink sitting properly on it - thinking it was a psu/possible g-card issue I continued to test games, but under advice from here (to test voltages) I found my processor was overheating to as high as 100-110 degrees

it was working this morning, went out to get a new heat sink and thermal paste, came home, had to take out mobo (and as such, g-card, soundcard, some power connectors) to fit the back panel/rack for the heatsink.

Job done... I attempted to boot up but got an error 87 on my mobo (power not supplied to processor, I'd just forgot) - the pc just idled with power on for as long as I left it and of course it would not post without a cpu (no power to it) - point being, the power stayed on.

So with a bit of relief I simply plugged the cpu power cord in thinking that was it... well, nope...

The PC now powers on for 2 seconds, and cuts power, as if its trying to protect my mobo from a power surge or it just cant power the CPU (I conclude that because if I unplug the cpu power, the machine will stay on, but as say before, no post.
    In this state, it also seems to struggle a few times every 10 seconds, even the LEDs which are constant blink a little and the fans slow for 1-2 seconds.)

The machine is 5 years old, I have small amounts of super glue near the screw holes where you mount the heat sink, I put too much thermal paste on, basically didnt do a good job of it.

So essentially all I am asking here is, would this be typical behaviour of a dead processor or board failing to make a connection.

For what it's worth, specs are:
    Motherboard - Abit IP35 pro
    Intel Q6600 - 2.4ghz (x4)
    4gig ram (Corsair Ballistic 1gigx4)
    1TB Sata + 60gig SSD (SSD is not being used for OS at the moment but is plugged in/using power)
    OCZ 850w PSU

I have checked places like toms hardware for instructions for how to complete a decent process of elimination, but its seems very excessive - I know that may come across as brattish/impatient, but for something thats been working for 5 years, replace a heatsink, and a sucessfully diagnosed problem component (overheating processor) I kind of resign myself that it cant be the g-card/ram, so don't really fancy testing one chip at a time when they were fine this AM, testing another PSU in my system by tearing a friend's apart - for now, I am more concerned with confirmation of typical symptoms of a truely broken processor and/or mobo.

Thanks again

-------------------------------------------------------

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

15. Blowbags

Blowbags Thread Starter

Thanks Flavelle, apologies for the faux pas!

The glue related to my old heat sink - this was a last ditch attempt to resolve the issue for free, the clips were broken, so I resorted to glue to attempt to keep the sink on the chip, but that didn't work out. I thought I would mention it to highlight that I haven't treated my mobo and processor with much care / that in all likelyhood I have pushed my luck with the old processor/mobo.

I did not attempt to glue anything when I got my new heat sink, and fitted it exactly as instructed (annoying wireclips for the fan and all :) )

The new heatsink is a brand new Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Processor cooler with one fan.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!