1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 58c standard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meylan, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meylan

meylan Thread Starter

my cpu seems to be at a 58c when my pc is just idle ive opened up the tower shell and there seems to be only 1 small plastic fan and thats attached to a grey mental box .Is it normal to have only 1 fan in the tower .

2. onsite

onsite

Ok some more facts please
    what is your OS ?
    is your PC an OEM or home built
    is there a make / model on the mainboard
    probably could use a case fan also

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, 58C at idle is way too hot for any machine, but some system details are called for anyway if you want us to help. :)

4. meylan

meylan Thread Starter

ok sorry about that . xp sp2
    asrock k7s41gx mother board
    amd seprom (2400)tm
    ati radion pro 9800
    256 ram

this pc was given to me , i dont think it was self built .
    the initial reading what i posted above was from the programme speedfan . i ve uninstalled that and installed motherboard monitor 5 , now this programme is telling me the case is 58c and the cpu is 39c . would this be a more valid reading :)

5. onsite

onsite

6. meylan

meylan Thread Starter

thanks alot (y)

7. JohnWill

Actually, 58C for the MB is most likely not a valid reading. Something is seriously wrong if the MB is 20C higher in temperature than the processor, typically the hottest thing in the case.

8. meylan

meylan Thread Starter

any advice

9. meylan

meylan Thread Starter

well even though it says cpu is 39c and the case is 58c , i believe its the cpu thats actually 58c i just been playing fs 2004 and it hit around 62c then the game crashed . any suggestions please :)

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would suspect the heatsink is not installed correctly. Its either not seated right or the paste is not applied correctly.

Check the temperature in the BIOS and see roughly what kind of temps are reported there and for what.

11. meylan

meylan Thread Starter

the temps in the bios have confirmed that the higher tempreture is the cpu tempreture .

SO i take the fan off the heat sink .will this be a case off just unscrewing and taking it off ?

THEN take the heat sink off the cpu .will this be some how screwed on and will it just pull away from the cpu ?

if there is no paste between the heatsink and cpu is there anything i can do till i get some paste

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Once you take the heatsink off you will NEED to remove all the old paste and apply new paste.

Arctic Silver 5 is probably the best compound to use, better then the stock pad or grease.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

AMD CPU removal: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23986.pdf
    Its actually for installing the heatsink but you should get an idea how to remove it as well. Its held on by some clips that require a decent amount of force to push down and out to unlatch it. Be careful not to damage the motherboard.

13. meylan

meylan Thread Starter

ok thanks im going to have to get some paste before i do the above (y)

when i take one of the side cases off the tower the cpu temp goes down to 48c

14. GripS

GripS

Is this a pre-built system from dell or gateway? These don't have quality cooling like most custom cases that are usually purchased when building your own system.

Removing the HSF can be a bit tricky as the thermal paste,pad,etc.. tends to create a pretty good bond. This is the method i usually use when i'm planning on removing the heatsink from the processor.

1. Run a CPU intensive program such as prime95 for approx 15 minutes to heat up the compound.

2. QUICKLY shut down the system and disconnect it's power. Be sure to ground yourself by touching the chassis of the case before touching the insides of your system.

3. Remove the heatsink clips. Before pulling up on the heatsink twist it from side to side to break the seal. Now you should be able to take the heatsink off without ripping it out of the socket. Be sure to pull straight up just in case to minimize the risk of bending the pins on the processor.

Also some of these proprietary cases will have a place to mount a fan on the back of the case. If there is go ahead and mount a fan there as an exhaust.

15. JohnWill

That points to a case of poor case cooling, you might look into better ventilation of the case, and perhaps dressing the cables to allow free airflow around the processor.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice