1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[ Solved] 60Hz or 75Hz for LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GRudger, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

Firstly, I know the refresh rate doesn't matter for LCDs, its the response times.

However, I have the otpion for my LCD to have it at 60Hz or 75Hz. Even if this has no effect on blurring etc, which one is best?

I am assuming 75hz? Is this correct?

It won't shorten the life of my LCD will it? (i'm thinking along the lines of OCing shortening CPU life etc...laugh at me if you must)

2. cavtek

cavtek

yo grudger. set it at 60hz . 60hz is the switching rate of alternating current here in the u.s. some other countries may use the 75hz speed.

3. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

How would I find out what it is for Australia?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My Princeton Graphics 19" LCD specifies 1280x1024 at 60hz for the best results. I suspect if you read your skimpy manual, they may make a similar recommendation. :)

5. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

actually its 70Hz, not 75Hz, if that makes a difference.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Generally, it's best to set the refresh rate to something other than the frequency of the local power supply. Seeting it the same can result in unusual strobing effects between the screen and any non-incandescent light sources and result in eye strain or headaches. Setting it to 70 won't reduce the life of the screen and will insure that it is different from surrounding lights.

7. codecfears

codecfears

Your going to want to set it higher than the Hz of the AC in your country unless you enjoy flicker. I know this to be true for CRT. I won't stake my name on LCD settings.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Bingo!

9. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks everyone.

10. slawless

slawless

I thought the 60-75 hz was the refreh rate. that is how many times a second the monitor puts a new picture on the screen. For a comparison, a non-interlaced (progressive) TV will run at 60hz. Old interlaced TV 30. If the frequency is to low, you will see flicker in the image. you should set it at the lowest frequency that produces the best image. I have my LCD at 60hz. 75 or higher made no difference. The higher the frequeny the more you computer and/or video card must work to produce the image.

Steve L

11. cavtek

cavtek

.....HZ for lcd is truly refresh rates. heres an interesting article....silly me...lol.

12. cavtek

cavtek

13. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

14. cavtek

cavtek

...oops....

15. GRudger

GRudger Thread Starter

righto

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!