1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 75 year old wrinkly does not understand .NET

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Robert587599, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert587599

Robert587599 Thread Starter

Via Control Panel I note that I have TWO .NET Framework SP 2 entries. One is 183MB, the other 179MB. Both are shown as used RARELY. An attempt to 'Repair' tells me that they are both unavailable on my PC [?].

I also have a .NET 3.5 SP1 of approximately 28 MB.

I do not have or intend to have a Web-site. I do not Publish and I have no relatives so no Games or gadgets.

Leaving one final question following my attempt to understand what Microsoft say .NET if for. DO I NEED THEM/ Can I uninstall all of them?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    it can be used for many things, one of which it came up for me when I was installing a poker program that tracks my notes/moves etc.

My guess is that if you remove it, something will not work. Where it says rarely, I believe it's the actual file that you would normally click on, but if you are using a different program to access it, or if you use a CD etc, then it would not register as being used. Most of my stuff is like that.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Think of .NET Framework like Java. You don't write Java programs, but you may use software that utilizes Java functionality. Same thing with .NET Framework. It provides a code base that other programs can reference. Having them installed doesn't harm anything, but removing them certainly could by causing other programs not to function.

4. Robert587599

Robert587599 Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice