1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 750W PSU recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InfernoReaper, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper Thread Starter

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 750W power supply? I've been looking around NewEgg and I've narrowed it down to two.

Silverstone ST75ZF

Silverstone ST75F

The only difference I see besides fan size is the ST75F is modular and has 4 more molex and 1 more floppy connectors.

If you have any other recommendation for a 750W PSU for under $150 (after rebates), I'll gladly take them into consideration.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you can add a couple of buck to your budget, I would highly recommend this unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

$159.99 including shipping

Actually it only works out to be about $12.75 more than the Silverstone ST75F
    which was advertised at $136.99 + $10.25 shipping = $147.24

PC Power & Cooling 5 year limited warranty

Silverstone 3 year limited warranty

3. Wasper

Wasper

Like win2kpro said, that PC Power&Cooling 750w unit is very nice.

The thing that is very good is that its a single +12V rail w/60amps, which is the best for power distribution in your computer. All the hardware will get the power where it needs it, when it needs it.

Also to consider is the Silverstone OP750. It also has a single +12V rail w/60 amps. The Silverstone OP is also a bit shorter in size then the PC Power&Cooling, which will make it an easier fit in some cases (especially if you have a top fan on your case). The Silverstone Op750 is about 150mm long, whereas the PC Power&Cooling 750 is about 220mm long.

SilverStone OP750 $152.99:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256016

Both units have been tested by multiple hardware sites and have been found to be extreamly good. The PC Power&Cooling 750w unit is the better power supply by a small margin ( I believe it had less ripple, but both units were well within specs) but, if size is an issue, the Silverstone OP750w unit is the way to go.

If it was me buying a 750w power supply, I would choose between those two, and those two only.

Hope this helps

4. jlabit

jlabit

By 10 miles, the PC Power & Cooling brand power supplies are the best available, bar none. They are well worth the money.

5. cornman

cornman

6. InfernoReaper

I've looked at PC P&C, and that particular PSU, for a while. I was under the impression an EPS PSU would not work in an ATX motherboard, so I didn't bother. Do EPS PSUs work on ATX boards?

Space isn't a problem. ThermalTake Armor Jr. case (possibly Armor later.)

Quick question: Why is everyone so intent on a single 12V rail?
    I was planning on keeping the PSU until I can get a Phenom and another 8800GTS and I would have thought quad 12V rails would be a smarter move.

7. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee

Because that single 12V rail is running 60Amps. Which is a lot! (y)

Also, aren't SeaSonics on about the same level as the PCP&C?

8. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Yes.

To Inferno:
    http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/
    The second paragraph is more relevant IMO.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

The PC P&C unit I recommended will definitely work with ATX boards. I primarily build with ATX boards and have used the PC P&C units and never had a problem.

Here is a link to a one page article that may answer some of your questions regarding power supply's.

http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/

Also, I AM NOT a fan (no pun intended) of modular power supplys. In electrical circuits every "break" in the circuit is a potential source of problems. Excess wiring in a hard wired supply does not present a problem. The chassises I use have 4 external 5.25" bays. Since I always install 2 optical drives I install the 2 drives in the 2 lower bays, and after installation I take the excess unused wiring, bundle it, cut down an old motherboard static bag, secure the bundle in the 2 unused 5.25" top bays, and have a nice, neat storage area.

If I later add a component and need a lead from the "storage" I simply open the bag, extract the lead I need, re-bundle the bag, and return it to the "storage" area.

10. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee

I'm also not a fan of the modular psu's. If you were talking about the SeaSonic, not all of them are modular. (which I'm sure you probably new) :D

11. Mr.Magee

Mr.Magee

Also another thing for you to consider if noise is an issue. I've heard that the PCP&C are very loud. Never had experience, but thats just what I have read. Where as the SeaSonics are virtually silent during operation.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

As to modular I wasn't speaking of Seasonic. One of the posters original Silverstone choices was modular, and I was just throwing out my opinion on modulars.

Seasonic is a very good manufacturer, although I haven't used a Seasonic unit, I haven't personally noticed the PC P&C as being excessively noisy.

13. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

I've used seasonic power supplies in 3 builds now (including my own computer) and I haven't had a problem yet.

14. InfernoReaper

Thank you (and wink2pro) for the link. It makes sense to me now.

I'm not much of a fan either of modulars. I do the same thing you do with your extra cords, except I don't put them in an anti-static bag, which is probably stupid on my part.

I'll go out and take another look and come back with a couple new ones.

15. InfernoReaper

SeaSonic only had up to 700W PSUs on NewEgg, which is where I'm ordering everything but my CPU cooler, so I didn't figure them in.

Here's my two new choices.

PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer

Silverstone 800W OP800

I'm a bit iffy on the OP800 because it doesn't have any reviews yet.

Thanks for the help.

Oh and if it helps, my specs are in my computer icon next to my username. Just add a Phenom and another 8800 GTS for my final specs.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!