1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 8.1 restart in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by newby715, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newby715

newby715 Thread Starter

I got a message about driver errors and it said to restart. I clicked restart and I got the HP logo and then a black screen. I tried turning it off and on quickly 3 times and still only a black screen, without the HP logo. I have a recovery disc and I tried turning the power on with it in place and turning the power on and then inserting it and nothing happened. I can't show the sysinfo with a black screen. I have an HP all in one that came with windows 8, with an upgrade to 8.1. I would like to start in safe mode and troubleshoot but I don't know how. Please help.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. newby715

newby715 Thread Starter

I did the things suggested, except for the reinstall with no results. I have a recovery drive on USB but I don't know how to boot from USB. I don't have an installation disc. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    to do a clean install from USB have a read here
    NOTE - you will lose all your data and programs installed since purchasing the PC

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5230510&docId=emr_na-c03963609
    scroll down to this section
    or you maybe able to do it from the recovery partition on the machine
    have a read here
    http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03483233-6

5. vembutech

vembutech Banned

6. newby715

newby715 Thread Starter

On a HP forum, someone suggested that I try F11. Since I have an HP computer, I tried F11 which took me to an HP troubleshooting system. In no time, I was back in business with no more black screen. I thank you all for your suggestions.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice