1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 8GB SD card (sanDisk) locks up reader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CFIannotti, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CFIannotti

CFIannotti Thread Starter

I have a SanDisk Ultra 8Gb SD card.Markings on it are:
    30 mb/s ,and the SD logo over HC

My problem is, when I insert it into the SD card slot on the front of my computer, the activity light shows, but the card is not detected in "My computer"
    My system is:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 226400 MB, Free - 126161 MB; D: Total - 12040 MB, Free - 4694 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., EMERY
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2 other SanDisk Sd cards work, 1GB and 2 GB.
    All 3 cards are read by my Canon T3i. I can shoot and record onto all 3. Obviously, the 1 & 2 GB cards can be inserted into the front panel SD card reader, and I can download pictures that way. As the 8 GB card locks up the computer,I merely use the Canon camera to USB port cable to download images when I use the 8GB card.
    Is there a mismatch between that style of SD card (30 mb/s)?
    I would like help to make it readable,as I want to write MagicLantern camera software to it. I have the software on the 2 GB card, so i know that is not an issue.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

It would appear that your reader is old enough that it doesn't read the HC (high capacity) cards. I ran into the same thing a few years back when I got my first 4GB SDHC. You can get a USB reader fairly cheaply. Mine will allow me to insert full-size, mini and micro SD cards, all at the same time, if I wish, and it looks like a fat flash drive.

3. CFIannotti

Thank you Mark.
    That was one possibility I assumed I may run into.
    2 things I will look into, will be the largest available "ordinary" card, or,as you use, a card reader. Off to Newegg and others.

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

I believe the largest non HC card is 2GB. With the size of digital photos these days, you really want something larger. The HC cards are probably faster, too. Note the "Class" number.

5. CFIannotti

Thanks. Agreed, As I will be experimenting with video from the camera, I will purchase larger capacity cards down the road.
    A reader will be my pruchase today.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067236