1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 8x AGP card in a 4x slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deuce, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I just bought a new video card for a computer in out bar, and I didn't notice that the computer's AGP slot is 4x max. (It is in a tight area, so it is one of those compact compaq desktops)

The card is an 8x AGP card and the slot is apparently 4x max. Is there a way to get this card to work in this computer? A 4x AGP low-profile video card with dual monitor output is hard to find at all, let alone something with decent RAM.

I don't remember the model of the computer off hand...I'll reply with that later. Video card is a geforce 4 128 MB DDR low-profile 8x AGP, dell part number F1811.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

3. Jones

Jones

99.9%* of all 8x AGP cards are backwards compatible to 4x slots. You should not have any problems using the card. Just know that the card will only function at the 4x speed, so you won't get all the performance that the card is capable of.

* statistic I just made up, but you get the point :)

4. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

The notches line up and I can physically insert the card in the slot, but when I power up I don't get any video...

I would have thought they would be backward compatible shich is why I wasn't worried when I bought it...

5. Jones

Jones

What is the exact make and model of your video card, and the make and model of the motherboard?

Does the card have an additional power connector? If so, make sure it's connected.

6. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I'm not quite sure about the exact make and model of the card or the motherboard at this time.

The computer is a small form factor Compaq Evo D500 family originaly with a 1.7 P4, 20 GB HD and 128 mb ram. The motherboard is the original. I might have a chance to check on the physical unit later...

That's all I have on teh video card now...I'll try and check on that later as well.

There is no power connector for this card...

7. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I got it working for now. It turns out that the AGP slot is kind of finicky and needs to be seated just right.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice