1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 9600 GT not receiving enough power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NIKEZ, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

A couple of days ago, my friend and I decided to trade motherboards. We unplugged and unscrewed everything off the board, but we soon noticed that our boards wouldn't fit in each others' tower properly, so we had to plug everything back in. After several hours of struggle and confusion, we managed to get most of our boards functioning. When I turned on my pc, it asked me to select a hard drive, and I selected one of my hard drives. When I logged into my computer, a NVIDIA power warning popped up:
    "Your NVIDIA graphics card is not receiving sufficient power. As a result, the graphics card has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operation.

To remedy the problem, ensure that your NVIDIA graphics card has the supplemental power connector attached."

It gave me a box to check in, "In the future, do not show me this dialog box," and two options: OK and More Information. When I clicked on More Information, it says:
    "Your NVIDIA graphics card must have the supplemental power connector attached or your system may be damaged. Please refer to your owner's manual for complete inspection instructions. Also, the power supply in your computer must be able to provide ample power for this extra connection."

Before I unplugged my motherboard, this message never showed up, and everything was running fine. I'm using a 700W power supply(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019) and my motherboard is an ASUStek P5GC-MX/1333. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: I do not believe that this is a power supply problem because the message only appeared after I plugged everything back into the motherboard. I even plugged in that wire from the graphics card to the SPDIF_Out output.

2. BG-0

BG-0

So, you didn't mention whether you actually did replug that "the supplemental power connector" from your power supply to your card. It's a 3x2-pin plug, most probably labeled PCI-E 1/2.

3. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

There should be a 6 pin power connector on the video card.
    Make sure the pci express power connector is connected there.
    If it is,try unplugging it and plugging it back in.

4. NIKEZ

NIKEZ Thread Starter

HA! I didn't see that! I opened up my pc and found the 6 pin power connector. Hooked it up to the graphics card, turned the computer on, and no more warning message. Thanks guys! Really appreciate this!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!