1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 9600xt AIW will not boot-up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dallasrat, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

Hello All,

Noob here. This will be my first graphics card upgrade and wouldn't you know, it is not as easy as the instructions say!

My system:
    Dell Dimension 4550
    nVidia GeForce mx420 (original) AGP
    9600xt AIW (replacement, I hope!) AGP

As per the instructions and online, I removed the nVidia drivers using the Add/Remove Hardware option, as well as also used the DriverCleaner to make sure to get 'em all.

The first thing that I noticed when I put in the new 9600xt was that the for a second, the WinXP "boot screen" was ok, then it went one of blue vertical lines (think "The Matrix" only in blue) and the Windows logo and XP name were blurred and shadowed. I assumed that this was because of the new drivers were not yet installed. The very first attempt showed the desktop with the larger icons, etc as could be expected, but then within only a few minutes, an error came up:"VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands. Please tell ATI about this." I did send the report, but who knows if it will do any good for the near future.

All of the subsequent attempts have done the same "Matrix" boot screen into only blackness. The green power light is on, the ATI card's fan is spinning and all seems to work fine, without display. When checking the monitor settings when this occurs, it shows anywhere between 59.8kHz to 60.0kHz for Horizontal and 72.4Hz to 74.9Hz for Vertical at the default screen resolution of 1024x768.

When I remove the ATI card and replace it with the original nVidia card, there is no issue (other than the large icons b/c missing correct drivers). The PC works automatically at the default standard resolution from boot-up and does not require that I boot into "Enable VGA mode" or "Safe Mode" to use.

For what its worth, Dell said that there is no newer BIOS (Phoenix) or Chipset (Intel i845PE) drivers. They can only advise that since this video card is supported by my computer, it is most likely a bad card.

I am at my wits end on this thing! Let me know if I have missed anything, including any needed pertinent system info, etc in order to better troubleshoot.

Please help! Thanks in advance!!!

2. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

BTW, in the Devices Manager under Other Devices, there is error (Yellow flag and exclamation) with something called "SM Bus Controller"...there seems to be no driver for this. I may have erased it when on my driver purging fit. Any suggestions? Or is this related or important at all to my vid card issue? Thanks again!

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Did you try removing and reseating the 9600, or did you just go back to the Geforce? Sometimes a card isn't making contact properly and that might cause it.

4. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

Thanks. Yes, I did try that a number of times as I was thinking that as well. I made sure that it aligned and pushed in quite hard (harder than I thought I should, actually).

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The SM Bus controller is telling me that your chipset drivers aren't installed properly. What board are you running?

6. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

I was thinking that it would have something to do with this issue. Sorry, it is the one that came installed in this Dell Dimension 4550...they do not list the name in any documentation that I can find, nor would they give that to me when I called. When I run the "Everest" program, it only says Motherboard Name and Manuf. as "Dell".

7. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

If this is the case, would there be a reason why the chipset drivers would adversely affect the ATI and not the nVidia? I find it odd that the nVidia card does not show the "Matrix" boot screen, but the ATI does.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

9. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

Ok, if this will not hurt anything, here goes....

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be right back and hopefully with a success story!

10. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

I d/l'd the chipset program you sent. Just one more thing before I reboot, will I need to let it run through a normal boot-up (possibly getting those issues/Matrix screen, etc and no display) or boot back into "Enable VGA mode" so I can get a display? Not sure if I will need to input something once it boots back up..

Thanks again.

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I am not sure. I am not sure if this is even going to help or not. It can't hurt. I'd try it normally first. Then if that didn't work.............

12. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

Well, it seems that did correct whatever the issue with the SM Bus Controller was, as there are no conflicts or issues listed in the Device Manager, but no help for the vid card. When reboot normally, the same thing happens...the first time it looked like it was gonna work (even with the Matrix boot screen), but before I had time to load up the Everest program to peek around and see, it went black; reboot normally again Matrix boot screen, but nothing...blackness.

When the first black screen happened, the refresh rates showed: H: 57.5kHz and V: 74.9Hz. On the 2nd try, it showed: H:59.9kHz and V: 74.9Hz.

And, of course, the ATI folks are not open weekends....

Any other ideas? Thanks for hangin' in there with me!

13. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

One thing of interest, I did run Everest again and this time, even in "Enable VGA mode", it shows that the AGP Status is "Active" where before with that SM Bus Controller issue, that showed AGP Status as "Disabled".... I heard that ATI does not like "Fast write" being enabled and Everest shows that it is enabled. I am not sure how to turn that off, or even if it has anything to do with the monitor blackouts, though.

14. winbob

winbob

Have you tried Booting into SAFE MODE, so that you can do a little more Trouble Shoothing and Fixing?

Where in Dallas are you? I'm in Coppell myself.

15. dallasrat

dallasrat Thread Starter

Well then, hello, neighbor. I am in the Addison area. Yes, I did initially boot into Safe Mode, as when I began this fiasco I was unaware of the "F8" hotkey as that was not an option on the initial boot screen.

I noticed that many people that troubleshoot use the Everest program so I went and got it as well. It shows that all is working fine as far as vid drivers, etc, but............

Any suggestions you have for me to try or check something in Safe Mode?

I hate to say it, but I am thinking that it is simply a bad card. Got it from Fry's online on I-635, so may call them or take it by and see what they say or can do in the store.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice