1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: A desktop, plugged in, gives "critical level" battery error?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sparsons6183, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparsons6183

sparsons6183 Thread Starter

Hi all,

First off, thank you for reading. Please help if you do know a fix, and if not, thank you for looking!

I am posting here to see if I simply need to set a setting differently.

A desktop computer I built for a friend, who also had me build one for his friend, is having issues with one to two random reboots a day. I had him take a photo of the error message that he was getting. Here it is.

[​IMG]

Here is the link if the photo doesn't work for you:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o230/sparsons6183/DSCF9426.jpg

This computer shows a battery icon, that is full, in the tray in the lower right. That seems weird since it is plugged in, however I read somewhere that if a comp. has a UPS plugged in that Vista shows the battery level on the computer. It did it's reboot thing when I was there once, and the UPS beeps twice and the light turns orange. Funny thing is though, with this recovery thing running it just brings windows back up, just like a temporary blip in service. It def. powers down though.

So my initial thought is, well, it's gotta be the backup power supply. So I had him plug into a surge protector that was connected to the wall for a day to see if he got reboots, and he did. So that tested to see if it gives a battery error even if the computer is plugged into the wall, and it does. This shouldn't be a CMOS battery problem, because it happens everyday, and works fine in the inbetween...but am I wrong? The real kicker with all of this is that the other computer works FINE and is almost identical in every way. So what is that all about?

My first thing I am going to test is the RAM. Then the PSU, and then the graphics card. However, I am sneakily suspicious of this computer runnning on Vista Ultimate 64, and think that I might have an OS problem.

So, here are the specs:
    i7-920
    EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI
    12GB total (2x6) G.SKILL DDR3 1600 model #F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    4 - Plextor DVD drives with light scribe
    PNY Quadro FX 1800 796MB GDDR3 workstation video card
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Runs dual monitors, hooked up to a 800Va 540Watt UPS.
    4 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB drives

What do you think, oh gracious Tech Support Guys/Gals?

Sincerely,

Sam

2. sparsons6183

sparsons6183 Thread Starter

Update! It rebooted when plugged into a power bar, AND when the USB cable was still attached to it. He is testing without the USB connected.

So without the power connected to UPS, but with the data connected, it still messed up.

Does this help?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice