1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] "A" drive making noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heatherew, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heatherew

heatherew Thread Starter

My "A" drive is making grinding noises when there is no disk in there, just like when I have a disk in the drive and info is being retrieved. I have been downloading pictures from the "A" drive since yesterday, when the malfunction started. Any ideas why this is happening? I have Windows 98, with a Pentium 2.

2. ChuckG

ChuckG

Sounds to me like you're taking the floppy out of the drive while the drive light is on. Leave the floppy in the drive till the light goes out.

Is it just this simple? :)

Anyway, that's what I got from your post.

3. heatherew

heatherew Thread Starter

Thanks, but I have another question. I did as you said and waited until the light went out to remove the disk today, and it's still acting possessed(still making grinding noises). Could it be that it's still rebelling from me removing the disk while the light was on yesterday, and when will it stop?

4. ChuckG

ChuckG

heatherew- Your machine could still looking for a file on a floppy.

Couple of questions: Have you shut the machine down and then restarted? Also, one of the pictures you copied to your machine may be looking for the rest of the file. Do you remember which disk started this? If you do, stick it in there. You could also have a corrupted picture file causing this. I'd look through them.

We've all taken out floppies before they are done being read at some time. Usually, if you just reinsert the floppy, the drive will calm down.

Nothing's easy, is it?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try clearing your recent documents list.......Start button, documents, and delete the ones that show you got them from the a: drive.

6. heatherew

heatherew Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I tried both suggestions and one must have worked, because it's not doing it anymore. Thanks again!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice