1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: a:Drive ??

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by snidely, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snidely

snidely Thread Starter

:D Hi all ;
    I have another pc a Gateway , I noticed that it was getting slower ,then the other day It stopped . I rebooted and it told me that there was an error on line 6 of the config.sys ,I went and took my floppy boot disc ,and it went right by it, I then tried to soft boot in the safe mode ,nothing. another to the C: prompt ,It told me about a command interpetor ????What the hell is that ?? It starts up tells me the a drive is loaded and then goes to the windows screen ,where it just stays. I then took the a: drive out and got another ,,the same thing happened ?? Now I'm lost and need you Guys desperately ,because I haven't got a clue .You fellas are my life line ,Please help.......Snidely :eek:

2. high Knight

high Knight It's My Birthday!

have you changed the boot order in the PC CMOS it will have to check the A drive before the HD to boot from a floopy.

3. snidely

snidely Thread Starter

Gee I'm not sure ?What should I look for in set up ?? how do I find cmos in the set up ?? I know how to get there but not what to look for ??
    thanks

4. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

What you are looking for is Boot Order (or something similar)

and you should have it set like this:

1st: Floppy drive A:
    2nd: CD-ROM
    3rd: HDD-0

Boot Other: No

check it and get back to us.

5. snidely

snidely Thread Starter

thanks I'll try it Need to take a ride first ,Will get back to you as soon as I can
    :) Snidely

6. snidely

snidely Thread Starter

Well guys I did I found cmos and the floppy and made it start first
    no results then I disabled every thing but the floppy and it still won't give me the a:\prompt ,,,I'm lost ,,,,,,,It runs the drive ok But it doesn't read it ???
    HELPPPPPP...............Snidely

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Click Start - Run, type in SYSEDIT, then click OK.

Copy-and-paste the entire contents of the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, then post it here.

You didn't mention which operating system that you're using, so I'll assume it's either Windows 98/98SE or Windows ME. They usually don't need to have anything listed in those files.

8. snidely

snidely Thread Starter

HI Flavallee;
    I wish I could get into windows ,It won't run ! and It won't start with the floppy
    it passes by it like its not there and I've put in a new one also and it does the same thing,I've gone into cmos to make sure that A:\ started first and I has not helped
    for my own thoughts it seems like the hard drive has bit the dust ,,hope not
    But I just don't know ,,,,,,,,,,take care ,,,,,,,,Snidely
    Ps: Running windows 98 second edition on a gateway 2000
    always ran good up till then ,,kept getting slower and slower,

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Am I understanding you right in that you're starting up your computer with a floppy disk in the drive? Windows is not loading because the floppy disk is preventing it from doing so. Remove the floppy disk.

10. snidely

snidely Thread Starter

Hi again;
    Windows will not start ,It loads the terminal requirements suach as A: drive and Hard disk and cd-rom ,But it will not fire after looking at it for a while I decided to try to boot it from the A:\drive however it just blew by the A: and went to the windows 98 screen and there is sits doing nothing ..I hit escape and it tells me that the is an error in the config .sys line 6
    I go into safe and it still does the same thing,I try to load it by going to the c:\ prompt ,,this is the killer as far as I can see,when it goes there it is really not a c:\ It looks like this c> that I know is incorrect when I try to change it to A:\ it tells me I have to load command interpreter c:\windows/command.com ..I can type that till my fingers fall of it doesn't do anything ,,I'm lost ,,,Please helpppppp........Snidely

11. Delta Dart

Delta Dart

Snidely
    Boot up with your boot disk
    At the A prompt type exactly (note spaces between copy and a also between com and c)"Copy a:\command.com c:\command.com" (Without quotes) This will load the command.com file to your c disk. You need this to boot to windows.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Snidely:

As Delta Dart has already advised you, make sure you type it exactly - with the reverse ( \ ) slashes and with a single space after "copy" and "com".

copy a:\command.com c:\

copy a:\command.com c:\windows\

13. snidely

snidely Thread Starter

Thanks It is working now .........take care ,,,,,and don't ever leave,,,
    :).............Snidely

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Who me? :eek: I've been a member of this forum for almost 3 years. It's almost like a second home. ;)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice