1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: A good remote administration program

Discussion in 'Networking' started by foler59, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

I am searching for a remote administration program that I could install on a pc and then be able to connect to it through the internet, transfer files, execute stuff and such. I have been using netcat, but I think it lacks some of the features that I need (although I'm not even minimally familiar with it). For example, I want the program to report the host's ip address to me every time it starts by some way (like connecting to an irc server, or just send me a file in some way). I also need to be able to transfer files, see hard drives or cd roms and generally have administrative access. Third, I need the program not to be entirely visible, for example hide its tray icon, or hide from the processes tab, the more the better (netcat does have some of these features), but that's of less importance.

Sorry for not searching too much, but if you happen to know one such program that you've used, you'll save me the time from searching.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I haven't looked at the other programs, but I would recommend against VNC unless it's used within a secure tunnel. VNC is horribly insecure and has many documented exploits. I use VNC but only via a VPN tunnel.

Your starting point in my opinion is to look at the suggestion of Logmein or Hammachi if you want to do secure remote connections on the cheap. Me personally, I want my own hardware solution which means a hardware VPN end point.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

UltraVNC offers encryption, FWIW.

5. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

I've used tight VNC and it wasn't too stealth..
    Ah, forgot to add that it has to be freeware :)

EDIT: I just tried RealVNC and I have one comment to make: I don't really need such fancy programs that can show me the desktop and let me handly the mouse and everything remotely. I just want to be able to do what I want on the PC (I don't want anything to be "echo'ed" locally) and be able to do it in a stealthy manner.

EDIT2: I just tried radmin its features are good though it's not hidden (tray icon) and it's also a little bit bloated, but I can also do stuff without being visible on the remote PC. The problem is that it frequently hangs on some operations.

6. JohnWill

Why the emphasis on hiding the remote access program?

7. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

Well one of them being that anybody could shut down the server program and then access will be denied. And I'm just experimenting with stuff on my own PCs (I will be installing the software anyway), it's not really a big emphasis, but since I can probably get all that in one program why not get the best?

So can you suggest a program that will do that (except netcat)? I will be giving a try to the others now, and I've re tried netcat, and the only problem I have with it is that I can't send files (and I don't see any such feature in the readme)

8. JohnWill

I use UltraVNC myself. You can hide the tray icon, but it still shows up in Task Manager. Of course, I don't worry about them shutting it down, since they don't get help if they turn off the capability. :)

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Even if they stop the service, you could use PStools to restart it remotely.

10. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

I just checked PStools, they look really useful, and in fact you could perform pretty much any operation with those tools alone without having to install client software! How does that work?

If there is no need for client software installation, why you choose all those heavy vnc programs to work with?

11. JohnWill

Because PStools can't allow you to see the GUI or operate all of the Windows functions. It's useful, but it doesn't serve the same function.

12. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Can't transfer a file with pstools.

13. JohnWill

Another good point. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice