1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: A huge router and modem question!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RaushanPassa, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RaushanPassa

RaushanPassa Thread Starter

Hey! I got a new Fiber Optic connection to my home today. I also got a new modem that replaced my old Cable modem. This new modem also has a wireless router built in as well as four LAN Ethernet ports.

When I had cable, I had a home network set up on Linksys hardware. Because of this new modem being a router in one, how can I connect my existing home network to the new modem with my other PCs in tact? All my PCs now have to connect to this new router in order to access the Internet. Also, using the wireless on the new modem is too weak a signal to transmit across my home. :(

The new Modem/Router is by ActionTec and my existing router is Linksys WRT54GS.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
    Make/model of the broadband modem.
    Make/model of the router (if any).
    Connection type, wired, wireless.
    Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
    Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
    Version and patch level of Windows, i.e. XP-Home SP2.

You probably got the Actiontec MI424WR, but it would be nice to know for sure. If you want to use the wireless section of your old router, try this configuration.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. RaushanPassa

Virginia, United States
    Verizon FiOS - Internet + Phone
    The broadband modem they provided is an ActionTec MI424-WR. It is a wireless router also.
    The wireless router I used before I switched to Verizon was Linksys WRT54GS Wireless G w/ SpeedBooster.
    The connection to the gateway is a Fiber Optic connection via Coaxial from outside.
    From the gateway, also the router, I use a wired connection via RJ-45 10BaseT.
    My computer connects to the wireless network. I have no clue to what kind of signal is sends, most likely its 108.11G.
    The wireless adapter I use is the WMP54GS Wireless G w/ Speedbooster.
    My motherboard is a ASUS P5N-E SLI (homemade).
    I use Windows XP Home SP2.

I want to entirely shutdown the router portion of the ActionTec router. I want it to simply be a gateway only. If that is do-able, which port would I use to connect my router?

Also, please clarify with the DHCP and IP jargon. I am so new with this stuff!

Thanks for any help or advice!

4. RaushanPassa

5. jmwills

jmwills

If these are all wired connections, the netwrok should already be there provided you have rebooted all the machines. If wireless, you will have to once again reconfigure all the wireless clients.

You did remove the Linksys router from the network, right?

6. RaushanPassa

I know the network works fine. What I want is to force my new ActionTec MI424-WR router/modem into only a modem and remain that way. The router portion of the new hardware is unneccessary. I already have a wireless network set up with Linksys hardware.

I would like to then connect my Linksys router to the new ActionTec modem. How would I do that?

7. JohnWill

I suggest you leave the Actiontec router alone and do the tinkering with the other router.

8. jmwills

jmwills

Agreed. Let the Modem/router combo unit continue to function as it should and then connect the Linksys router to one of the switch ports on the other unit (probably only has one).

Disable DHCP on the Linksys unit and give it a Static IP Address outside the scope of the first router but within the same subnet and you exisiting clients will connect thru the Linksys modifed router.

9. JohnWill

Actually, the Actiontec MI424WR that I got with my FiOS account is a full sized router (some would say oversized) and it has four switch ports.

10. RaushanPassa

So I just need a regular Ethernet cable to connect both routers? Also, I am able to use any port on the ActionTec?

How would I disable to DHCP and give it an IP address outside the scope of the ActionTec's? I'm too nervous to go into the router configuration, I may mess something up... :eek:

11. jmwills

jmwills

The only onw you will alter is the Linksys box, as it is now, it is doing you no good.

12. JohnWill

Yep, my point in telling you not to screw with the Actiontec MI424WR router is the configuration is somewhat daunting for a novice, lots more knobs and dials than the typical broadband router. :D You're just tinkering with the secondary router's configuration.

13. RaushanPassa

So how do I do all this? I can access the Linksys router with the admin pass and everything. Once I am in, where do I go?

14. JohnWill

You need to first change the base address of the Linksys router outside the DHCP address range of the Actiontec router. You also need to disable the DHCP server in the Linksys router. The default DHCP address range of my Actiontec MI424WR is: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.100

I'd set the Linksys base to 192.168.1.254, that's where my secondary router is.

Once you reboot the Linksys router, you can then connect it as described previously, and you'll be able to access it directly to configure any additional parameters.

15. RaushanPassa

Omg!! I did it!!

Thank you guys so much!! I am definitely reffering myself and a few freinds here! <3

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!