1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: A list of services that can be disabled?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a friend who has an old system that probably would run reasonably fast in the days of Windows 98; but, he's running Windows XP and it is excruciatingly slow. It is a stand-alone system on a wired connection to his cable internet. There is no file or printer sharing involved.

I hope that disabling unneeded services might speed the system somewhat; but, the service names and descriptions in Windows XP is quite cryptic so I have little to no idea which ones can be safely disabled. Where on the 'net can I find some help on this?

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I would leave the Microsoft services alone and concentrate on the non-Microsoft services. Some may be set to Manual.

However, Windows isn't always very good at starting the Manual services when needed. So, some applications may not work properly. I would rather trim the Startup programs instead:

Click Start > Run > type msconfig.

Click OK.

Select the Startup tab.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unless the machine is low on RAM, there is nothing to be gained by disabling services. NT is a service-based OS and not a resource-based one. Services use no CPU unless performing a function and are not "running in the background" in the sense that programs did with the Win 98 kernel.

In any case, Manual is a better choice so the services will at least be available if needed.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Services are still running processes though.

6. Alex Ethridge

The system has only 512M RAM and part of that, 32M, is shared with video. After disabling non-essential items in MSConfig (and restarting), I could detect no difference. After disabling about a dozen items in Services, I saw a significant difference, faster on boot and on response times for other things. Programs no longer take "forever" to load/start.

Time/use will tell whether any problems were created.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Services tab.

Uncheck "Hide all Microsoft services", then make sure that ALL service entries are checked, then click Apply.

----------------------------------------------------------

Go to Startup tab.

Except for the antivirus program(if a full-time one is currently installed and running), most or all of the other startup entries can be unchecked.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Go to Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK.

If any of the service entries are set on Disabled, change them to Manual.

If any crucial ones are set on Disabled, they cannot start, but they can if they're set on Manual.

-----------------------------------------------------------

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You said that old computer has 512 MB of RAM, but you didn't say what the processor type and speed is.

From my personal experience with resurrecting and upgrading old computers running Windows XP, if it has less than an Intel Pentium III 800 MHz processor, you'll probably be unhappy with the overall speed and snappiness of programs and functions.

---------------------------------------------------------

9. Alex Ethridge

AMD X2 1100MHz

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice