1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] A little refresher please!??

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hottesttotty, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hottesttotty

hottesttotty Thread Starter

In following a suggestion made here, I paid a visit to PCPitstop last night. It actually only gave a couple red flags, one for email security zone, and one for available RAM (Not sure if that one was just a big sales pitch tho!!). Anyway, my question today is, it found that my ie cache is "overflowing", when I THOUGHT I had just cleaned it out! Apparently not the case however, and since it's OVER the size (165 MB) I have set for my limit (128 MB), it said I would have to manually remove the files. Sooo.....could someone please explain the process to me, so I can get it cleaned up?? Also, should I go back in after that and set the cache size even smaller, or will it still not "obey" the limit anyway??

TIA

TT:)

P.S. I have posted a problem with Front Page in the Development board, which is MUCH slower than this one, if anyone could take a peep and see if they can help me out with that one too!!?? THANKS!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Tia .. I am assuming you have done a virus scan & spyware scan as well, correct?

Have you ran a full maintenance course....cleaned up & scanned & defragged?

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Darkstar's link shows how to manually delete the files in cache.

You can also do it automatically when the browser is terminated.
    IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > Security section
    Select "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"

If you choose to do the manual delete peridically, or just let IE purge it on it's own, you can reduce the size of the browser cache to something in the 10MB area.
    There is no need to have anything larger than that.

5. hottesttotty

I knew how to do it through internet options, but when it ran the report, it said that because it was over the "set limit" that it had apparently "lost track" of some of these files, and that doing it that way wouldn't clear all of them out?? Which meant I had to "manually remove" them. I had just done this process a couple of days ago, through the internet options and it still found a HUGE cache floating around in there???

In answer to the maintenance question, yup, did all that!! Except the spyware, which I am going to check into as soon as I finish this post!! Dh's computer apparently needs it too, since he found some FREAKY stuff on there this a.m.!!

TIA!!

6. hottesttotty

K, I guess I thought when they said "manually" it should be more difficult than that!! Got it now tho....but I could've SWORN I already DID that the other day!! Apparently not, because it took about a minute and a half to finish deleting them!

Thanks everybody!!

7. Dark Star

Dark Star

We aim to please, but if you are disappointed we can make it alot harder than it really is. :D

DS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice