1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: a lot slower internet!!!

Discussion in 'General Security' started by danielstoops, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danielstoops

danielstoops Thread Starter

hi,

i accidentally disabled my wifi yesterday and enabled it today. Now it is a lot slower!!! Yesterday my download speed was around 87 to 120kb/sec . Now it is around 5 to 10 kb/sec . Is there anything i can do to speed it up like before? Also, now all the pages load slowly and when i watch youtube, instead of loading the whole thing really quickly, it takes a few minutes.

thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you renable encryption with a preshared key? Maybe someone has attached to your network and is consuming your bandwidth.

3. danielstoops

it is working again fine now.

but how do you put on a password on your network so only people who know the password can get onto it?

4. alisongrey

alisongrey Banned

You can enable WPA encryption which should go a considerable way to making your network more secure from outside people attaching on to it. WPA support is built in to XP

Worth setting up just to ensure that you don't get leeched from again.

5. danielstoops

sorry, but i don't understand what you are talking about.

also, it has happened again, the internet is slow again!!!

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

On your router's setup web-page, there should be some mention of 'encryption' or security. There are several levels of encryption, WEP, WPA and WPA2. WPA2 being the newest kind. To turn encryption on, you need to specify a passphrase, which they call a "pre-shared key". Make this passphrase a phrase that is long and use alphabets and numbers and symbols. This same pre-shared key will then have to be typed into all computers that connect to the router, or else they won't be able to connect. This will keep out intruders who don't know the passphrase.

Do not select WEP if at all possible. That first generation of encryption is easily broken into. Only use that if all your equiptment is old and doesn't offer WPA or WPA2.

7. TRISH-HICKS

TRISH-HICKS

is this on the black screen whenyou clcik on f8.that you can go to to fix somethings.
    trish

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

No usually you have to log onto the router (by default it is somthing like 192.168.1.1). You would go to that by typing in the ip of the router into a web browser, log on with the router login credentials, then you can set security (do this while wired into the router)

9. TRISH-HICKS

TRISH-HICKS

i do believe you sent this to the wrong person i didn't need to know anything about the routers

10. new tech guy

new tech guy

I was replying to the OP, if you need assistance, you are welcome to start your own thread. But to answer your question, no. I beleive you are thinking about the windows boot options.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice