1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: a monthly spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mrobita23, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrobita23

mrobita23 Thread Starter

Hi,
    First off I'm an idiot when it comes to Excel. That being said I was hoping some one could give me a shove in the right direction. I want to keep track of my Craiglist real estate ads in Excel or any program in Office or Works, whatever's better. I would like to track them monthly and if I delete the ad it will not continue to the next month while the non-deleted ads will be automatically added to the next months ads. I have several catatergoies like # of baths, # of bedrooms, location ect.. I was thinking of having a deleted column where if I entered a Y the ad would be "greyed out" and would not move forward to the next month's. The basic idea would be to not get confused on which ads I am currently using but to keep old ads for reference. Hopefully that made some sense. I searched the web and bought an excel book but it's not too advanced I think. Thanks in advanced.

2. The Villan

The Villan

Data Filter is a very simple answer to your requirement. But at the moment I haven't got time to run through it with you.

As long as you have a heading for each column and there are no blanks columns in the middle of your data and no blank rows in between the data, all you have to do is make sure your cell pointer is somewher in the data, and click on Data, Filter, Autofilter.
    Then you click on the column that has the Y's in and slect the mneu choice blanks, and excel will filter all the records that do not have a Y against them.

You can turn the autofilter off whenever you like by doing Data Filter Autofilter again.

All your records will be retained.

Sorry got to go, but hopes it helps.

3. The Villan

The Villan

OK here is a very simple example.Save the attached spreadsheet, and then open it up in Excel. Then do the following.

Click on Cell A1

Point and click on the Data menu
    Point at the Filter menu and move the mouse pointer over the Autofilter menu and click once.

You should now have downward pointing arrows in cell A1, B1 and C1

Click on the arrrow in cell C1 and you will see a list of choices.
    Click on blanks

Excel should have hidden all records(rows) that have a Y in column C

You can get all the records back again, by clicking on the arrow again and selecting All.

All your records should now be visible.

You can keep on adding rows of data to this list and then click on the arrow again to see all blank cells in column C

Attached Files:

4. mrobita23

mrobita23 Thread Starter

Dude thank you so much for taking the time,

Thanks, I feel like an idiot though, you made that tooo easy. A quick question, if you don't have time I understand. Is it possible to seperate my ads by month in the same spreadsheet and have the non-deleted ads continue on to the next month or is that impossible?

Thanks again,

5. The Villan

The Villan

I am having difficulty understanding exactly what you mean. little point in offereing a solution without clearly understanding.

Can you put an example spreadsheet on here, and then explain clearly what you want to achieve.

6. mrobita23

mrobita23 Thread Starter

Here is an example of what I would like to do. I would like to have almost like a seperate spreadsheet for each month of the year inside one spreadsheet. I would like to have the rows that do not have a y or check mark in the deleted column advance automatically onto the next month. I've heard the term "rolling" spreadsheet, I don't know if that is what I'm talking about. Hopefully my example will clear up what I'm trying to say.

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. The Villan

The Villan

The simplest way that I would deal with your issue would be as per the attached example, where I have merged all the data together with a day, month and year column in columns A, B and C. You can also filter on the date columns just when you want to see specific months and/or years plus a filter on blanks in the deleted column.

As an example, you could
    click on the arrow in column C and select 2006 or 2007
    Then click on the arrow in column B and select August or some other month
    Then click on the arrow in column G and select blanks

If you want to then see all the records again, then point and click on the Data menu and select Filter and then Show all. That way you leave the filter on, ready for the next filter you want to do.

You can then keep on adding new rows of data underneath and then filter again. Its so simple and quick.

You give yourself so much extra work by breaking the data up the way you have done in your example.

Hope that helps

Attached Files:

8. The Villan

The Villan

Oh forgot to say, if you only want the blanks in column G then only click on the arrow in column G and select blanks.

9. mrobita23

mrobita23 Thread Starter

Yeah, that is VERY easy and I can see everything at the same time. I think I was trying to make things more complicated than neccessary.

Thanks for taking the time to help out a rookie!

10. The Villan

The Villan

Glad I could be of help.
    Can you please go to the top of this page and click on thread tools and clcik on solved (orsiomething like that please).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice