1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: A network cable is unplugged (different)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augustoch, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. augustoch

augustoch Thread Starter

Hi, I have read a lot on this problem, but still have it.

I have got an old Compaq Presario S5000NX. The original users, never used the ethernet network card (just as a standalone PC). I have reinstalled Windows XP Professional, and the corresponding drivers from the site; also, the latest BIOS. Everything looks in good condition in the Device Manager.

The Local Area Network Connection icon says "A network cable is unplugged" with the (working) ethernet cable connected. I changed all the options in the configuration and checked that everything is OK in the BIOS. Also, tried with another working ethernet PCI card, and the problem is still there.

Some suggestions? Thanks,

Augusto

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Need clarification:
    Does this mean the network connection is working but is falsely indicating that the card is disconnected?

Check Device Manager. Does it indicate more than one network device?

3. augustoch

augustoch Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked the connection using the onboard ethernet adapter and the additional PCI ethernet adapter with Ubuntu; and have no communication at all.

Augusto

4. augustoch

augustoch Thread Starter

No, there is only one network device in the Device Manager. It is recognized as a "good" network card; the same is for the PCI adapter (when installed in the slot).

5. Irukku

Irukku

Just to make sure: you assume the cable is working because you've plugged it to another ethernet port and it worked?

6. augustoch

augustoch Thread Starter

Yes, I connect the same ethernet cable to a different PC, and the Internet comes up instantly.

And, when I install another ethernet adapter, it gets the same message (a different port).

7. augustoch

augustoch Thread Starter

Sorry guys, you won't believe this! I have changed 3 different network cards, and the 3rd one worked.

So, the problem was that the onboard ethernet adapter and the next 2 PCI network cards were defective.

Now, I can work normally. Again, sorry (it is the first time I've got 2 net cards failing).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice