1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: A New CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RxBandit, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

My computer keeps restarting and I believe it's due to the CPU, therefore I'd like to get a new one. Instead of trouble shooting me through it, it seems like it'd be more fun to help me decide on a new one (tell me if this sounds true).

It's been a couple of years (I got my current one before 64 bit processors took off) so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I'd like to buy from NewEgg.com and keep my price around $150.

I think I'm looking for a Pentium 4 with a Socket 478. It's got to fit an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard (http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-ASUS_AS...0_ATX_FORM_FACTOR_1xAGP_8X_5xPCI_4xDDR_W_SATA) and be able to play City of Heroes.

Also if there are any extra heatsinks or fans you might recommend, than I'm willing to listen to that as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats probably the last cause for a computer restarting unless its overheating and even in that situation the correct approach would be to clean or replace the heatsink and fan.

3. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

It's running in the yellow at about 54C and 1.41Volts
    The fan is in the green at 2657RPM
    Is any of that bad?
    It doesn't ever get any more extreme than that when it restarts.
    I've used Canned Air to blast the heatsink and fan, but to no avail.

4. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

Also sometimes when it restarts (or fails all together) a pleasant woman's voice says "CPU Failure" over and over until I turn it off. So this is where my train of thought was going.

I was thinking it might be the power supply too, but I'm really not sure how to test this kind of thing.

5. KingCody

KingCody

many stability issues including restarts can be caused by a bad power supply. especially if it's a cheap generic one.

the voice may have said CPU FAILURE due to a power issue.

1. did you plug in the 12v ATX 4-pin CPU power connector (square shaped)?

2. what is the brand and model of your PSU? and how old is it?

6. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

1)The 4-pin is plugged in. Unless you mean did *I* personally do it. In which case I would also have to say yes.

2)The brand looks like "Powerup" and the model is LC-B350ATX

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Asus motherbaords randomly spit out that error for almost any problem. FYI many Asus motherboards have BIOS updates to resolve that messsage when its incorrectly reported.

A cheap power supply could cause a random reboot, so can faulty memory, or a bad or incorrectly configured CMOS setup.

Memory testor: http://www.memtest.org/

8. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

Hmm...that website is a bit confusing to me, but I'll read through it and see what I can come up with.

In the meantime, I switched of my "AutoRestart" in the System part of my Control Panel, this time when it restarted it said something along the lines of this:

Run a Systems Diagnostic Utility
    Run a Memory Check
    It might be Faulty or Mis-Matched Memory
    Change the Video Adapters

Technical Info:
    ***STOP : 0x0000007F (0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I don't know if that means anything.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Download this to your hard drive: http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.floppy.zip
    Run it and it will create a bootable floppy disk. Once you boot off it will run a memory test. It will not stop until to tell it too. Let it run for at least an hour or more. If it reports any errors then you probably have bad memory, which also fits with the error message you have.

10. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

My computer doesn't have a floppy drive, unless I can boot it from a burned CD or a FlashDisk or something.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

Hookay, I ran the Memtest for about two hours and it produced no errors. So it seems it's coming down to
    a)A bad CPU (which sounds unlikely)
    b)A bad Power Supply
    c)Something else?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be the power supply, or the motherboard, or even a Windows issue, or a just about anything. Processors can fail but its a very rare occurance.

It could be that you need to update the BIOS or the drivers for the motherboard(chipset) or the video card, or soem other device.

14. RxBandit

RxBandit Thread Starter

FYI I took my power supply to the closest computer store and they tested it as being okay. So at least some of these problems are being thrown out the window.

The guy there said that it might be my memory chips overheating, but in the last cold Wisconsin winter I had the same pattern of problems. Nevertheless, he recommended I try working with one memory chip and then the other to see if that might be a problem. I dunno if that memory test I performed would throw that idea out the window or if it's still a legitimate possibility.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Restart your system and enter the bios. Check your temp and voltages in the bios and post them here.
    T6 is right; cpus are really pretty hard to hurt unless you overclock them or physically damage it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice